Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Which Press is right for me? The Answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2182 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

I guess if you are pursuing accuracy, and don't want to send a mint to

Hornady, Barnes, etc,(et al) you will probably get into reloading, if you're

handy, and enjoy this kind of thing.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

GREAT post Tango,,

I have been looking into reloading and not sure what press to go with and how much to dump into the initial investment. All of your threads in this section have been very helpful. Props to you,, and a big thank you

Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #23

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
GREAT post Tango,,

I have been looking into reloading and not sure what press to go with and how much to dump into the initial investment. All of your threads in this section have been very helpful. Props to you,, and a big thank you
Thanks KTM. That is what I am here for to help all I can help.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I suppose most think they will save money. And likely so.
But Dad and I reloaded for the ability to make sure every step was as accurate as we could possibly make it.
If the powder charge is exact, if the bullet weights are the same, if the primers are all the same batch, the primer holes are correct, and the planets are all in align....
If you do it yourself... you need look no further than the mirror to see who went wrong.
If everything you do reloading is consistent and correct, there will be less to open up those shots in the groups.

Accuracy begins at the reloading bench.
If things are not accurate there, they won't be down range either.

I use a one stage press. Because I am focused on one step at a time. And I want that step to be as accurate as I can humanly make it.
48 grains of powder, or 47 grains of powder, is NOT the same as 47.5 grains of powder.
Science and loading data mean little if you do not do the work to find that "perfect" load for your firearm.
I use 3 different presses. One Step old Herter's. A RCBS progressive. And I have a Lee hand press I used for 9mm.
I don't use all 3 regularly, but I could in a pinch.
I'd encourage a single stage to begin with. Get good with it. Get accurate with it. Testing your reloads will naturally bring you back to the bench with renewed experiance.
Once you have your "perfect" round, your search will be over in the experimental mode. And by then, you ought to be a damn good shot from the practice.
I like RCBS equipment. I recommend it. But nothing is worth nothing until you are satisfied with your results.
If money is tight, or the household accountant is a problem, start out with a Lee nutcracker. You can move the dies to whatever next press you decide to buy. And you will never lose the experiences.
But not taking that step into reloading is like saying, I hit the gong and being satisfied with that.
To me, cutting that tiny x out of the bulls eye with 3 well placed shots at 200 yards is accurate.
Doing it time after time takes accuracy at the reloading bench.
Whether is is X, Y, or Z reloading press.
Where you step into the waters is completely up to your budget and family constraints.
There is no "MAGIC" press.
Reloading isn't chopping wood. It is accuracy and consistency. It is patience and perseverance. Being that much more dedicated than "Mr. Box Loads" shooter.
There is your bragging rights. Out shoot them. And because YOU know exactly what the loads you make will do, consistently.
The temperature, wind, and weather will weigh on all the same. But the accuracy at the reloading bench is what will win the match.
Arguing tools is like arguing body parts. It's what you can do with the tools that makes it out there where the bullet meets the mark.
Be the best that you can be.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #25

For beginners I agree with a single stage. I use the rcbs rockchucker.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #26

Liked 2182 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

I got an old Hornady(Pacific) and a small RCBS, both single stage.

Couldn't be happier. Can't really speak to the turret or progressive

presses.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm looking at getting into reloading here soon for the purpose of shooting for cheaper, I realise it will not actually save you money because you are still spending money, just less then you were before (kinda like how this debt ceiling thing worked out). But I posted in here for a reason.

Would you suggest getting the equipment to cast your own bullets or just stick with buying bullets already made?

I'm wanting to be able to shoot for as cheap as possible, which is my inspiration for wanting to reload, so I can shoot more. Plus I think it will be fun.

So, cast my own bullets or just order them? What would you recomend?

p.s. Great post tango! and I usually have a lot of free time on my hands so that is not a factor in casting my own bullets.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #28

Default Reloading to save money...ok maybe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Which Reloading Press is Right for Me?

This is one of the most asked questions out there. Just like which pistol or rifle is right for me. There are many factors to take into account and we are going to examine them in this thread. I would like this to be a learning experience for all. This is not for the “My press is better than your press because mine cost X dollars”.

I have been loading for about 22 years now. I have loaded on single stage and progressive I have loaded Rifle, pistol, revolver and black powder. I have loaded from 22 hornet all the way up to 45-70 both smokeless and black powder loads.

Let’s look at some of the factors we need to determine your press.
1. How much do you shoot?
2. How much do you have to spend?
3. What are you loading for?
4. How long have you been shooting?
5. Are you just testing the waters or you know you’re going to reload?
6. What is your mechanical ability?

How much and what calibers you shoot determine a lot about your press. If you shoot nothing but pistol ammo and you shoot a lot of one load then maybe a small progressive is for you to start out with. I prefer to have people start on single stage presses. Let’s face it though loading pistol ammo on a single stage is boring and SUCKS. You have to resize and deprime. Then you flare the case mouth then you seat and many people prefer to crimp in an extra step. That’s a lot of die changing and stop and starting for a beginner. A guy that just goes to the range and is looking for the best accuracy is going to be more suited by using a single stage where you go slow take your time trickling your powder till it is perfect every time.

Money let’s face it this is the single biggest factor in the equipment you buy. If you have little disposable income do not feel bad for buying a cheaper Lee classic cast press. Once you get going you can pop it on ebay or here and someone will buy it at or near the price you paid for it. A reloading press is like money in a savings account. If you have the wealth to plop down the green for a full on Dillon XL650 set up with case feeder and all the goodies then by all means get that. The nice thing about many of the progressives you can use them as a single stage as well.
What are you loading for? If you are loading small batches of precision rifle ammo then a high quality single stage like the Forester Co-Ax press may be for you. Someone shooting IPSC on the weekends is not going to want to waste time changing dies and what not with the amount of ammo they burn up. So they are going to look at a Dillon, Hornady , RCBS or Lee progressive loader for speed. Bottle neck cartridges do not require as many steps in the press to load them as pistol ammo does.

How long have you been shooting? This goes to part of the equation for me in that the longer you have been shooting the more you know your firearms and what goes into making them go bang and not BOOM. Plus a person that picked up a Springer XD last week may not need the reloading set up that a guy with a dozen different rifles and 2 dozen pistols is going to need. This is a smaller part of the equation but is still a part of it in my eyes.

Are you sure that no matter what you are going to keep reloading? Or do you just want to test the waters and see what it offers you in terms of performance fun? Reloading ammo can be as simple or complex as you want it. If you are not sure and want a set up that is low cost and can maybe grow with you then that is what you should look for. Don’t feel bad if you are a testing the water loader. Many people just don’t like it or just don’t have the time and money to commit to reloading. Please just remember one thing you’re NOT going to save a single dime. The money you save will go right back into buying more supplies or equipment. If you are reloading to see a savings then you’re loading for the wrong reasons.

Mechanical ability unfortunately not everyone can tear down a firearm or small block chevy and know how to put them back together. Loading is the same way it takes some kind of mechanical ability to produce quality accurate safe ammunition. At least I think it does. Progressive presses take more than single stage presses as well. You have every operation going on at one time on a progressive vs 1 operation at a time on the single stage.
Well I always love to read the input every one has ... have to admitt are not many subjects that the guys are just trying to help a guy out. Reloading is one of them....I suppose you can save money in reloading but you will just be producing inferior ammunition like we buy on sale. Reloading is a passion in producing a round of ammunition that is to a higher standard of operation that meets the criteria in which you designed it for. Accuracy, compatability to you weapon. terminal performance and a sence of confidence you will get from development of working up your own round. Each of my weapons has a load worked up for just that weapon to take in the account for its perticular characteristics. The one gentleman is right, that you will sink your money into better and better equipment removing the economics of the reloaded shell. I love it and I seporate it into two operations. Component preporation and the actual reloading of the perticular caliber. I wish all of you the best of luck in this endevor but PAY ATTENTION...Loading proper powder measurements is critical....lets no one get hurt!....God Bless You And God Bless the USA!

Last edited by Rockyrules; 08-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #29

Default Reloading to save money...ok maybe!

Rockyrules777@yahoo.com
Well I always love to read the input every one has ... have to admitt are not many subjects that the guys are just trying to help a guy out. Reloading is one of them....I suppose you can save money in reloading but you will just be producing inferior ammunition like we buy on sale. Reloading is a passion in producing a round of ammunition that is to a higher standard of operation that meets the criteria in which you designed it for. Accuracy, compatability to you weapon. terminal performance and a sence of confidence you will get from development of working up your own round. Each of my weapons has a load worked up for just that weapon to take in the account for its perticular characteristics. The one gentleman is right, that you will sink your money into better and better equipment removing the economics of the reloaded shell. I love it and I seporate it into two operations. Component preporation and the actual reloading of the perticular caliber. I wish all of you the best of luck in this endevor but PAY ATTENTION...Loading proper powder measurements is critical....lets no one get hurt!....God Bless You And God Bless the USA!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #30

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrules View Post
I suppose you can save money in reloading but you will just be producing inferior ammunition like we buy on sale. !
is that a typo??

in general even the noobest of handloaders produces ammo more consistant than premium shelf ammo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...