Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Press Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

After 45 years, I have never worn out a press for lack of lubrication.
You can go to the extreme of once or twice a year tearing down the whole press and cleaning and lubricating it. This might extend the life from 50+ years to 75+ years.
A reloading press really doesn't need any tight tolerances, as you should be locking all your dies with a round still in the die so you establish the alignment and don't rely on tight tolerances.
Cleaning is very important, if you are using a progressive press.
You will want to clean any spilled items, like powder, immediately and you will want to keep things generally clean and lubed for ease of use.
A single-stage press is so simple and so stout that wear is not that big an issue.
Right now at my age, I'll never wear out any of presses.
Also, most progressive press manufacturers will clean and overhaul your press for some nominal sum (where shipping is generally about 1/3-1/2 the cost of the refurbishment). This seems much better to me. I have other presses to use while it is off for refurb, but I don't "have the time" to do it myself.
As such, there are no hard-and-fast rules. It depends on how much time you want to spend on the press and how much time you spend at the press.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17041 Times on 9853 Posts
Likes Given: 44273

IMO, if you buy a quality press, and oil and lube the moving parts, (single stage, as i have no experiance with the progressives yet) they will probably outlast the original buyer and his grandchildren. looking at most of the quality made presses, they actually seem over built. made to last several lifetimes. single stages, there aren't a lot parts that move and wear out. just clean them every once in a while and oil the ram and the pivot points. GTG!