Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Press Maintenance

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default Press Maintenance

Just wondering what all y'all do for press maintenance?

I was looking at my ram the other night thinking i might want to clean and re-lube it. What would i use? Just regular degreaser, then a quality bearing grease?

__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 16,912
Liked 5106 Times on 2656 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Default

i did a thorough clean on my xl650 a few weeks ago. complete dissassembly i used clp on the ram to cut through the gunk, then wiped it down with a clean rag, then just used light coat of gun grease.

gunked up non-plastic parts got cleaned with a clp covered rag then wiped down real good to get the clp off. coulda used wd40 but i dont like the smell of that stuff.

plastic parts got cleaned with a rag damped with water and dried. springs got cleaned with clp.

i prolly coulda degreased it but the clp was handy.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 293
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default

You won't read much about it because it's not critical other than keeping it moderately clean and keep the moving parts wet with some kind of lube.

About once a year I'll spray something like Windex on the body and wipe it down with a paper towel if it needs it or not.

When it needs it, I'll use a paper towel to wipe the ram, then put a couple-three drops of a medium weight oil around the ram hole and work the lever a few times to spread it. Put a drop or two on each of the toggle link pins and I'm done.

Don't know if that will make a press last forever but it's done very well on my old Lyman Spar-T for well over fourty years.

__________________
1hole is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i did a thorough clean on my xl650 a few weeks ago. complete dissassembly i used clp on the ram to cut through the gunk, then wiped it down with a clean rag, then just used light coat of gun grease.

gunked up non-plastic parts got cleaned with a clp covered rag then wiped down real good to get the clp off. coulda used wd40 but i dont like the smell of that stuff.

plastic parts got cleaned with a rag damped with water and dried. springs got cleaned with clp.

i prolly coulda degreased it but the clp was handy.
From everything i have read and heard, WD-40 has NO BUSINESS in a reloading room. From what i have read (no personal experience) the stuff de-activates powder and primers alike.

Anywho...thanks! sounds like a good routine
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
You won't read much about it because it's not critical other than keeping it moderately clean and keep the moving parts wet with some kind of lube.

About once a year I'll spray something like Windex on the body and wipe it down with a paper towel if it needs it or not.

When it needs it, I'll use a paper towel to wipe the ram, then put a couple-three drops of a medium weight oil around the ram hole and work the lever a few times to spread it. Put a drop or two on each of the toggle link pins and I'm done.

Don't know if that will make a press last forever but it's done very well on my old Lyman Spar-T for well over fourty years.
I would say 40 years makes for a pretty good argument. Will keep in mind when i go down and service my press.

Thanks
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 16,912
Liked 5106 Times on 2656 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
From everything i have read and heard, WD-40 has NO BUSINESS in a reloading room. From what i have read (no personal experience) the stuff de-activates powder and primers alike.

Anywho...thanks! sounds like a good routine
Im not defending wd40 but oil and grease deactivates powder and primers as does water and windex
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Im not defending wd40 but oil and grease deactivates powder and primers as does water and windex
Aye, point taken.

I dont even buy the garbage...as penetrating oil theres better stuff on the market, as a lube its useless (it gums up after time) so i just buy PB buster or liquid wrench and for lubes there 3in1, hoppes gun oil or a good gun grease.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
anm2_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 449
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Well if you care about the equipment, you should maintain it regular basis.

Back in 1989 I bought a Dillon 550B. My kids and myself reloaded on this machine for about 17 years. We never cleaned/lubed nothing. If something got stuck, we cleaned it, but we never did any serious maintenance.

After about 7 years, the bushing were so loose, that you could move the handle left/right about 2 inches. Sent it to Dillon and they rebuilt the machine like new.

So after another 8 years, with the same Maint schedule (IE none), it was again in need of a rebuild. Had it done again, and gave it to one of my sons and purchased a XL650 for myself, 6 years ago. I also decided that I would strip/clean/lube the entire press after 40,000 rounds reloaded. I have done it twice now, and the press is still like new.

So for your info, Maintenance works !

__________________
anm2_man is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 4,899
Liked 664 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Default

I simply wipe mine down every 10 years or so. I clean my bench w/ an air hose, so I guess it gets clean. I use a single stage press. Silicone is all I have ever used to "lube" joints. Mine is 16 years old.

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:33 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,797
Liked 19505 Times on 11073 Posts
Likes Given: 49124

Default

mine belonged to my father, RCBS he bought over forty years ago. i just lightly lube the ram and wipe off the excess, lightly lube all the pivot points. that's all he ever did, so if i get forty years out of it, then he and i both got our money's worth out of it!

__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning / Maintenance / Accuracy ???s kimbercollector General Rifle Discussion 1 07-13-2011 07:36 PM
Rifle Break In / Maintenance illnevertell General Rifle Discussion 8 04-13-2011 08:11 PM
Bi-Tone maintenance? SGT_Calle XD Forum 9 01-18-2010 12:42 AM
Utility Brushes: Maintenance KBlue General Handgun Discussion 3 02-21-2009 04:46 PM
Gun maintenance box cbw General Handgun Discussion 19 01-10-2009 05:11 PM