Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Press Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/press-maintenance-51607/)

fmj 11-11-2011 06:15 PM

Press Maintenance

Just wondering what all y'all do for press maintenance?

I was looking at my ram the other night thinking i might want to clean and re-lube it. What would i use? Just regular degreaser, then a quality bearing grease?

JonM 11-12-2011 03:34 AM

i did a thorough clean on my xl650 a few weeks ago. complete dissassembly i used clp on the ram to cut through the gunk, then wiped it down with a clean rag, then just used light coat of gun grease.

gunked up non-plastic parts got cleaned with a clp covered rag then wiped down real good to get the clp off. coulda used wd40 but i dont like the smell of that stuff.

plastic parts got cleaned with a rag damped with water and dried. springs got cleaned with clp.

i prolly coulda degreased it but the clp was handy.

1hole 11-12-2011 01:18 PM

You won't read much about it because it's not critical other than keeping it moderately clean and keep the moving parts wet with some kind of lube.

About once a year I'll spray something like Windex on the body and wipe it down with a paper towel if it needs it or not. :D

When it needs it, I'll use a paper towel to wipe the ram, then put a couple-three drops of a medium weight oil around the ram hole and work the lever a few times to spread it. Put a drop or two on each of the toggle link pins and I'm done.

Don't know if that will make a press last forever but it's done very well on my old Lyman Spar-T for well over fourty years.

fmj 11-12-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 625571)
i did a thorough clean on my xl650 a few weeks ago. complete dissassembly i used clp on the ram to cut through the gunk, then wiped it down with a clean rag, then just used light coat of gun grease.

gunked up non-plastic parts got cleaned with a clp covered rag then wiped down real good to get the clp off. coulda used wd40 but i dont like the smell of that stuff.

plastic parts got cleaned with a rag damped with water and dried. springs got cleaned with clp.

i prolly coulda degreased it but the clp was handy.

From everything i have read and heard, WD-40 has NO BUSINESS in a reloading room. From what i have read (no personal experience) the stuff de-activates powder and primers alike.

Anywho...thanks! sounds like a good routine

fmj 11-12-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hole (Post 625763)
You won't read much about it because it's not critical other than keeping it moderately clean and keep the moving parts wet with some kind of lube.

About once a year I'll spray something like Windex on the body and wipe it down with a paper towel if it needs it or not. :D

When it needs it, I'll use a paper towel to wipe the ram, then put a couple-three drops of a medium weight oil around the ram hole and work the lever a few times to spread it. Put a drop or two on each of the toggle link pins and I'm done.

Don't know if that will make a press last forever but it's done very well on my old Lyman Spar-T for well over fourty years.

I would say 40 years makes for a pretty good argument. Will keep in mind when i go down and service my press.

Thanks

JonM 11-12-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 625772)
From everything i have read and heard, WD-40 has NO BUSINESS in a reloading room. From what i have read (no personal experience) the stuff de-activates powder and primers alike.

Anywho...thanks! sounds like a good routine

Im not defending wd40 but oil and grease deactivates powder and primers as does water and windex ;)

fmj 11-12-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 625779)
Im not defending wd40 but oil and grease deactivates powder and primers as does water and windex ;)

Aye, point taken. :)

I dont even buy the garbage...as penetrating oil theres better stuff on the market, as a lube its useless (it gums up after time) so i just buy PB buster or liquid wrench and for lubes there 3in1, hoppes gun oil or a good gun grease.

anm2_man 11-12-2011 08:12 PM

Well if you care about the equipment, you should maintain it regular basis.

Back in 1989 I bought a Dillon 550B. My kids and myself reloaded on this machine for about 17 years. We never cleaned/lubed nothing. If something got stuck, we cleaned it, but we never did any serious maintenance.

After about 7 years, the bushing were so loose, that you could move the handle left/right about 2 inches. Sent it to Dillon and they rebuilt the machine like new.

So after another 8 years, with the same Maint schedule (IE none), it was again in need of a rebuild. Had it done again, and gave it to one of my sons and purchased a XL650 for myself, 6 years ago. I also decided that I would strip/clean/lube the entire press after 40,000 rounds reloaded. I have done it twice now, and the press is still like new.

So for your info, Maintenance works !:cool:

jpattersonnh 11-12-2011 10:35 PM

I simply wipe mine down every 10 years or so. I clean my bench w/ an air hose, so I guess it gets clean. I use a single stage press. Silicone is all I have ever used to "lube" joints. Mine is 16 years old.

Axxe55 11-13-2011 02:33 AM

mine belonged to my father, RCBS he bought over forty years ago. i just lightly lube the ram and wipe off the excess, lightly lube all the pivot points. that's all he ever did, so if i get forty years out of it, then he and i both got our money's worth out of it!