Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Which press (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/press-15035/)

kasel 06-23-2009 11:55 AM

Which press

Any opinions on the Lyman t-mag ll turret press and the Lee classic turret press as to which is better would be helpfull.

cpttango30 06-23-2009 12:01 PM

I have used neither but I have touched and fondeled both in stores. Both work good the biggest advantage the Lyman has is that 1. it is not a lee and 2. it gives you more room around the case to work with. Plus you can have 2 die sets with a powder measure loaded into one turret. This can save you money if you keep things straight.

The lee I am sure will last for a long time as will the Lyman. I like the single center mounting point over the 3 or 4 outer mounting points of the lee.

1hole 06-23-2009 01:53 PM

I have the grandpappy of the T-Mag. The newer press is "better" in that it has compound linkage. IMHO, nothing else is materially different. Meaning, I don't much care for it from a user point of view. Conventional turrets like the Lymans have all the disadvantages of a turret with none of the advantages of either a progressive or single stage.

Conventional TURRET presses have several disadvantages. The turrets are "springy", they must be or the head couldn't rotate. The die holes are virtually impossible to precisely index without some amount of off-set from the ram. If you load more than a single cartridge, changing dies is the same as a single stage, no faster at all. Changing heads is so clumsy and expensive as to make it a worthless idea.

The Lee Classic Turret is quite a bit better in every respect. The method of installing the turret head is different; quick, simple to do and it has little harmful spring. The head has an auto index feature that greatly speeds processing a single case from start to finish, with good enough accuracy for handgun stuff anyway. The interchangable heads are so inexpensive you can actually afford to have one set up for each cartridge you load for!

And Lee dies with their Factory Crimp Die, and shell holder, are a GREAT deal!

IMHO, mounting a powder measure on any press but a progressive, OR a Lee turret with auto indexing, is a liability. Use a bench stand instead.

RL357Mag 06-23-2009 02:53 PM

Ditto what 1-Hole said! I have the Lee turret and two Lee Challenger Single stage presses. I rarely use the turret anymore because of the possibility of introducing mechanical "play". For reloading handgun where large quantities of ammo in a short time is the goal, a progressive or a turret is fine. For the most accurate use of my costly components, a single stage is what I prefer. With two single stages I can run two successive operations with more precision than one turret press. IMO powder measures should be a separate and very precise operation with absolutely NO chance for error - this rules out press mounted measures. Get a Redding BR powder measure and you'll be happy for the rest of your life!

Catfish 06-25-2009 08:27 PM

I will not use a turret press because of the posiblity of of movement and I will not buy anything Lee as I have had problems with their junk every time I`ve bought it. I should say I load several 1,000 round a year and the Lee stuff don`t hold up to the volume I load for long.

1hole 06-25-2009 09:19 PM

Everyone has his own opinions about Lee. The only "problems" I've ever had with any of it has been due to my own screw ups and I don't blame that on Lee. ??

RL357Mag 06-25-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 121636)
I will not use a turret press because of the posiblity of of movement and I will not buy anything Lee as I have had problems with their junk every time I`ve bought it. I should say I load several 1,000 round a year and the Lee stuff don`t hold up to the volume I load for long.

I load several 1000 rds. a year for the last 20 and all I use is Lee dies and presses. Junk??? Maybe YOU are doing something wrong???