Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Powder weight accuracy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/powder-weight-accuracy-61534/)

ArmyGuy 03-31-2012 07:50 PM

Powder weight accuracy

Just got my new RCBS charge master combo yesterday. It performs as advertised, getting the powder weight within +/- 0.1 grains of what I want. I had been using a balance beam scale with some tweezers pulling out or adding a spec of powder at a time. I feel that was more accurate than the electric charge master, although it takes longer.

I guess my question is how accurate does a load really need to be in order to shoot well?

anm2_man 03-31-2012 08:02 PM

You didn't say what kind of round, but in most cases +/- .2 you will never know the difference in semi but if your shooting FA - there will be a studder with this amount of variation.

ArmyGuy 03-31-2012 08:06 PM

I'm loading for my M1 Garand. I'm using the old military HXP brass with 46 grains of IMR 4895 and 168 grain Sierra Matchking hollow point bullets.

anm2_man 03-31-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyGuy (Post 757811)
I'm loading for my M1 Garand. I'm using the old military HXP brass with 46 grains of IMR 4895 and 168 grain Sierra Matchking hollow point bullets.

Thats a good load for your Garand. The key is that IMR 4895 being a extruded powder is difficult to measure correctly in all powder measures. But If you can hold +/- .1 be really happy. I average when reloading with that powder +/-.3.

And again if you want reach out at 1moa at 400 yards consistently, you have to keep it under .1.

fmj 03-31-2012 08:49 PM

i use a lee powder dipper to add/subtract powder from the pan before charging the case.

When i started i was anal about being dead nuts 6gr in the 45s or 15 gr in the .357 or 22 gr in the 44 mags etc. But now i have gotten to where if i am +/- .1 gr i normally dump it in. just depends on how much time i have allotted to be in the reloading room and how many rounds i want to crank out.

When i comes to my hunting stuff i am still anal.

hiwall 03-31-2012 08:55 PM

for 90% of the stuff most of us shoot you do not have to be concerned about some +or- unless you are loading max loads. almost always the load is more accurate than the shooter+gun. For many years I just used a powder dipper and I had very good results. I still use a dipper for many practice loads.

1hole 03-31-2012 11:37 PM

You're sweating details that will make no difference down range; it seems intuitive we should precisely weigh powders but the internal volume differences between your cases will make a bigger difference than +/- .1 gr of powder. Or twice that in a .30-06 military autoloader.

Snakedriver 03-31-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyGuy (Post 757811)

For every day shooting +/- .2 of a grain isn't going to make a noticable difference when you're reloading large volume cases like .30-06.

If I want match grade accuracy, I measure each and every load out in the pan with a dipper to get close and then a trickler to bring it up to the mark.

Txhillbilly 04-01-2012 02:36 AM

When I'm loading Test Loads,I make sure they are exact,but after I have known loads,if they are +/- a point or two they get loaded.
Unless the loads are near maximum loads,then they need to be spot on.

Like others have said,you probably won't notice the difference on your targets with most rifles.

Shade 04-01-2012 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You do not need to measure power that accurately if you have the right
load for your rifle.

Read the following. I had to delete some of the photos from it file to make it
fit is you want the original file PM me with your email and I will email it and
another file to you in Word format.