Powder scale help. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Powder scale help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

the first thing i did when i got my lee reloading kit years ago was throw the scale away!...it is just like you described...digital is the best way to go when reloading...frankford is good products...i bought my cabelas brand digi scale over 10years ago and it still works as good as it did the day i got it...happy reloading

Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #12

Hi, yeah i got a Lyman balance beam scale and the graduations on it are kind of misleading as to exactly where you are at, so I bought a RCBS digital scale and use it for my final cartridge charge but check between the 2 scales after about every 10 rounds.
I trust my eyes more than the digital scale but it has proven very accurate, better safe than sorry!!!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 05-06-2010, 02:30 AM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The RCBS/Ohus 10-10 or 505 are both greats scales. You can find the older Lyman 10-10 scales on ebay for less than RCBS or Ohus. They are ugly but cheaper and exactly the same scale.

I have a very nice PACT BBKII that sits in the box because the load sensor went belly up after 1 year. It was out of warranty and the load cell is not covered at all on digital scales. I would stick with a beam scale and call it a day.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Havent got my digital scale yet, so we'll see how that works. The next $100 I get is going toward an RCBS scale and a few more bullets.
My MidwayUSA package isnt here yet, but it should be here tomorrow or friday. I just got 700 45acp brass shells in the mail today. Its like Christmas in May this week.

I read on a different forum someone said "if the digital scale is good enough for the drug dealers then it ought to be good enough for me". I kind of agree, but I still want to check my loads with the beam scale to speed up the process rather than weigh each load on a beam scale.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #15

Depending on how far off zero the scale reads after you replace the pan, you might want to look at your light source. I have read in the Sierra manual (#14 I think) that the magnetic fields created by flourescent lights can affect the scale. That's if you use flourescent lights near your reloading bench of course. I guess any magnetic field close to the scale might do the same thing (TV, electric motor, etc.) If none of those things are near by then maybe a new scale is in order.

I still prefer beam scales for consistency and use an RCBS 505.

Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Yes florescent lights can affect DIGITAL scales, and they do as do cell phones and cordless phones as well. I would be reloading with my PACT and get a cell call and it would freak out showing all sorts of numbers and even a few letters.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Yes florescent lights can affect DIGITAL scales, and they do as do cell phones and cordless phones as well. I would be reloading with my PACT and get a cell call and it would freak out showing all sorts of numbers and even a few letters.

The fields also screw with balance scales. Radio frequency intereference with the digital readout must be interesting. I know cell phones mess up the radar in my cruiser. Ten seconds before the phone rings the readout goes nutty.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Didnt know the magnetic fields messed with scales. I use florescent lights, but none of them are close to my bench. I listen to TV while I reload a large batch, so I guess I better start weighing with the digital scale on the other side of the bench. The Frankford Arsenal digial scale works within a -/+ 0.2 grain accuracy. Its alright for my target loads to help with my aiming and speed drills but I need the RCBS 505 for when I need something very fine.
So far, I've loaded 2 large batches for both my 45acp guns and currently waiting on the chance to go check how they perform.
You can trickle charge on the Frankford scale decently, it takes a second but its decent for the money you spend on it.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro View Post
I have a Lyman 1200 DPS 3 photopro
This is what I use. I don't think you can beat it. The next powder charge is always ready and waiting on you.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #20

I ordered an RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale along with the Lee Anniversary kit and I'm just soo glad that I did! I couldn't for the life of me get that beam scale that came with the kit to setup right, and at the frequency I weigh my charges it would have driven me insane to use that thing. A digital scale is well worth the investment!