Powder scale help.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Powder scale help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Powder scale help.

I'm looking for a quality measuring scale for my powder. I got the balancing beam from LEE in my reloading press kit but everytime I try and use it, it doesnt seem to be too consistant. It cant seem to get the thing to actually zero. Once it actually does get onto the zero mark if you remove the empty pan and put it back on (still empty), 80% of the time it wont go back to the zero mark. What the hell? There's not drafts in my room and its on a sturdy level surface.
I dont know if its me or if its the scale or something else thats causing it to be inconsistant. Is there perhaps a better scale I could use for precise loading?
I have a digital scale on the way from Midway USA, but I want a scale that I can rely on to be accurate every time to a +/- 0.1 grain and not need batteries.

Any suggestions?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Which digital scale did you get?

Digital scales are very accurate to within 1/10th of a grain. How ever with both scales even breathing on them can cause them to be off so make sure they are out of your breathing area.

My digital scale sits back far enough so I don't breath on it but yet lets me see the LED

Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had to get rid of my Lee scale because of the same reason, not very consistent. I bought a RCBS 505 which is manufactured by Ohaus and is very accurate and does not drift. You should be able to buy this scale for around $65.00.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Powder Scale

I have a Lyman 1200 DPS 3 which I haven't used in anger yet, however several mates have the same and they think they are the muts nuts, that's good by the way for all you Yankie doodles. Manual scales are OK but realistically the new electronic digital scales are unbeatable.

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 05-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Look on Ebay.You can get a nice used RCBS or other brand beam scale for a good price. I bought a nice used RCBS 505 scale for $20.

The Lee scale I have is right on,but the air off your hand movement will make it keep moving.They are very sensitive.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #6

Liked 1909 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

My wife gave me an RCBS 10-10 scale for Christmas the year before last. Awesome scale. It is not digital. I believe it was rather pricey though. It lists for $146.00 on Midwayusa.com. I would not have bought it myself. But now that I have it, I feel it was worth every penny.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I baught the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 digial powder scale. From the reviews on midwayusa it seems to be fairly good scale. I want a different beam scale so I can check it against the DS-750 every 20 or so loads. I also want it for those times I want to do very accurate loads.

I tried for over an hour to zero the LEE beam scale last night, it never did what its supposed to. I hear both the 502 and 505 RCBS scales are great and are easy to read. I was thinking of replacing this LEE one with one of the 505 or 502s. One problem I have with the Lee is that its not easy to read like the RCBS ones.
I really dont want to spend more than $100 on a beam scale unless I really have to.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ruzai, I have two balance beam scales, one that is over 50 years old and a new Ohaus 10-10. On the 50 year old scale (a Pacific) I need to make sure the knife edges on the pivot / balance point are kept sharp, no burs and that there is no dust, dirt or crud where the Knife edges rest in the scale frame. I will ocassionally clean that area with a solvent like acetone on a Qtip. If that area is clean and there are no burs on the knife edge I get very good repeatability; you might want to try that on your Lee scale. I use a 3/8 in. square by 4 in. long hard Arkansas hone to dress the knife edges.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #9

if all else fails go to a head shop and buy a digital scale that does both grams and grains i have one and its great

Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #10

I have a RCBS 505, which has worked well for the weighing of thousands of rounds of ammo. In my experience it an excellent scale for the money. It's very consistent.