Powder rec. for 22-250

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Powder rec. for 22-250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Powder rec. for 22-250

Just getting started reloading for my 22-250. Finished my workbench and got the press bolted down arround 2am this morning. Planning on shooting Horniday Amax 52g and maybe some Barnes Varmint Grenades. Was gona go with H380 powder but after looking in the book and seeing you have to use magnum primers and quiet a heavier load to shoot slower fps than the Reloader 10x Im thinking about going with that. Any tips?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5648 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

different powders give different accuracy and accurate loads are almost never max loads. the difference in accuracy from one powder to the next isnt that great. i usually pick a powder that doesnt have to be compressed. cci primers are a middle of the road primer i get em when i can most of them can be used magnum or standard loads.

you will be surprised how fast a rifle cartridge will go through a pound of powder. ill pick a liekly powder and work up loads in .5 grain increments and test for accuracy. then repeat with other powders.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got a very accurate load with 35.8 grs. of Varget with my .22-250. I know that's not one you was thinking about but it works good for me.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Plenty of good powders out there for the .22-250. I use IMR 4064 but there are others that work just fine.

Joshua 1:9

Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks I got a pound of H380 and loaded some up last night. All I need now is some decent weather to try them out. I think I'm gona try some of the Superformance powder when it comes out too.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #6

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

It has been out!! In the cold, a stick powder will work best.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Be SURE to remember that the loads you work up now will be hotter when the weather turns warm/hot! This applies to almost all powders except for those specially formulated to stay the same pressure regardless of temp.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
It has been out!! In the cold, a stick powder will work best.
I seen it on cabelas website and drove up there to get some and some other stuff and was very dissapointed in there selection. The guy working there said all they had in the case was all they had or he was too lazy to go in the back to get it. Then I seen on Hodgdons website it says its not out till the middle of the month so I quit looking. Oh well plenty of time till the groundhogs come out to play catch with me.