Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Powder questions in a rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/powder-questions-rifle-74754/)

dustinoif3 10-21-2012 02:59 AM

Powder questions in a rifle

Okay guys. I've been pondering this for awhile. At what length of barrel and twist rate do you decide on a fast or slow burning powder? I've read that you want a slow burning powder in a longer barrel rifle so you can maintain higher pressure longer till the bullet leaves the barrel. Faster powder for pistols and shorter barrels. So what's the deciding factor on length? I'm shooting a 20" bull barrel in my 700. Would a 20 need a faster burning or middle of the road? someone recomended h380 but he mentioned its a faster birmig middle of the road?

nitestalker 10-21-2012 03:11 AM

No answer, you did not say what caliber you are loading for. What bullet do you intend to use ?:confused:

robocop10mm 10-21-2012 03:52 AM

To me caliber is the deciding factor. Short case like the .308 or .223, I use faster powders (like W-748 and BlC-2). Large case like the belted magnums and .25-06 I use slower powders (like H4831 SC). REALLY Large capacity cases (.338 RUM)scream out for Retumbo.

nitestalker 10-21-2012 04:38 AM

Yep, agreed all good tips. We have to know if he is loading a badly overbore capicity round as well.;)

Axxe55 10-21-2012 04:44 AM

some powders due to their composition are very versatile and will work in a multitude of calibers. faster and slower powders can even be used in the same caliber depending on bullet weight. best source is a good load data book. just look up whatever caliber you want to load for and choose the appropriate powder for the bullet weight you want to shoot. they will list all the available powders that can be used. also look up the powder makers data online.

steve4102 10-21-2012 06:38 AM

If we are talking rifles, I do not care about twist or barrel length. The powder is burned up in the first few inches and barrel length has nothing to do with complete combustion.

I load my rifles with a powder that gives at least 90% case fill, but I prefer compressed and more like 110% fill.

Again, barrel length has nothing to do with burn rates, velocity yes, burn rates and complete combustion, no.

Intheshop 10-21-2012 09:19 AM

Get a cpl new reloading books.

Also be aware that powder co's have free guides as well.Usta have them in gunstores,prolly need to call/write for them now?

Buy used loading books for penny's on the dollar.Not completely up to date but have tons of good solid info.

Online sources.

Find somebody who's loading/shooting similar equip....and disciplines.

What above should do is keep steering you in a positive direction.You'll start to notice some overlap or consistency's in not only powder's burning rate but,manufacturers as well.Also should see similar bullets that keep popping up.Theres probably a reason for it.Don't reinvent the wheel.

What calibre are you loading...308?Factory brrl?Have you measured the chamber/leade?

dustinoif3 10-21-2012 11:42 AM

Sorry I meant to put the rifle but forgot. I'm shooting a Remi 700 .308 sps tactical. Barrel is 20" with a 1:12 twist. Currently shooting black hills 168gr bthp. I would like to try some 175's. I've had multiple people mention 175gr was prolly the heaviest I wanna go due to barrel length and twist. I have yet to measure the chamber. Currently my reloading stuff is in a box because I'm moving in a week or so. I purchased a set of dies the other day so I'm finally closer to making .308 win. I wanted to get some feedback before I went and bought powder so I'm not wasting money.

dustinoif3 10-21-2012 01:43 PM

I haven't picked a bullet style yet and I haven't taken my calipers into the store to check lengths. The closest I've got was a google search that shot me to a forum which showed lengths from many makers. I applied the green hill formula to some measurements a guy gave for some Sierra mk and came up with a 1:11 twist for 175gr bullet.

Axxe55 10-21-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve4102 (Post 984263)
If we are talking rifles, I do not care about twist or barrel length. The powder is burned up in the first few inches and barrel length has nothing to do with complete combustion.

I load my rifles with a powder that gives at least 90% case fill, but I prefer compressed and more like 110% fill.

Again, barrel length has nothing to do with burn rates, velocity yes, burn rates and complete combustion, no.

Steve i beg to differ. when you get that huge muzzle flash out of the barrel when shooting shorter barreled firearms, that combustion.

my 25-06 when shooting a reload with a 120 gr bullet has little muzzle blast. when i shoot a hot reload with 75 gr bullets it has a huge muzzle blast that can be seen in the scope.

this was alos a problem with the 220 in earlier years, and caused them to have a reputation as barrel burners, because they didn't complete the combustion in the cartridge, but did in the barrel.