Powder/primer question for multiple guns

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Powder/primer question for multiple guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Powder/primer question for multiple guns

Hello--So, I have been out of reloading for a while but would like to get back into it. Since my last reloading adventure I have added a .300 Win Mag to my inventory. I have always reloaded for my .270 and had good results with IMR 4350. So my question is--is there one powder that would work well in both guns?? I am not looking to blast 1/4" groups at 400yrds or compete in a competition--just get a decent grouping for hunting. Also--can I get by with large rifle primers in the .300 mag or should I upgrade to the magnums?? I know that one is controversial so some input would be appreciated because I am a cheapskate and would like to avoid the subsequent butt chewing by the wife over spending 100+ bucks on a ton of different powders/primers when I could possibly get by with one type of each. Thanks in advance for your help and have a good night.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you might go to the hogdgon reloading data site, select caliber, skip bullet, and check your imr4350, you can do it for 270 then add one for 300 win mag
should dump some results no comment on the primer question, i use what the reloading guides call for at least until i run out of primers

Last edited by RugerHornet; 10-17-2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: wrong powder
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Yes the same powder can be used for both. If you are in a warmer climate you might be able to use the standard pimers in the .300. 4350 is not particularly hard to start. Cold weather will affect this a bit and the Magnum primer is called for.

Efficiency and velocity will go down a little with the standard primers, but shold not be "unsafe"

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Txhillbilly Likes This