Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > powder is powder, right?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2581 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 197

WHOA WHOA!!! American Select is NOT Blue Dot!!!!

These are two different powders with different burn rates and different load data. BE VERY CAREFUL.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1656 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

I am not familiar with your powder. I use Hodgdon powders. Check on the label of the can for a website. Most powder manufacturers have a website with load data on it. But you realy should buy a recipe book. I use the Hodgdon paperback magazine for most of my recipes. I also have several hard back books but the paperback is my most used. Do get a good caliper. Overall length is very important. The deeper the bullet is seated, the less room in the case for the powder to burn and expand. Never start at max loads. If the book does not have "starting loads" then take the max load and reduce by 10%. That is a good baseline. Do also check the can and make sure that is does not say not to reduce the load. Many powders can be reduced a great deal. Others can be dangerous. 45acp is an easy cartridge to reload. But it is not to be taken lightely either.

Gun stores are kind of hit and miss with educated employees. I know some sales people that are really sharp. Then there are other people I wouldnt trust to sell me a cleaning kit.

If you have a specific question feel free to PM me.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

LarryinCo Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #33

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

You did good to call the manufacture to make sure. You always want to read up reloading instructions and precautions so you don't blow up your gun and injure yourself. I have some American Select for pistol too, it does well. Read up and progress slowly, go exactly by the manual instructions and you will have good ammo to shoot.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #34

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Statistical data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover Dan View Post
When you load your first round, pay attention to over all length of the cartridge for that particular bullet. Seating a bullet too deeply can increase pressure dramatically.
Thanks for the tip, Dan.

FYI, one of the things I was curious about was comparing my results (when I start reloading) with those of the purchased ammunition I have. I am familiar with statistical process control (SPC) techniques and manufacturing processes. I decided to measure some characteristics of 'bought' ammo. I used a single box of 50 cartridges. I found that this particular box of .45 ACP ammo had an average OAL of 1.250". (The actual number was 1.24977", but I rounded it.) So far, so good. However, the standard deviation of this population was over 10 thousandths of an inch and the (max - min) measurement was a whopping 40 thousandths of an inch. No wonder 'off the shelf' ammo is much less accurate than reloaded. I fully expect that my results will have MUCH less variation. At least, I hope so.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams

Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #35

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Another opportunity for me to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
WHOA WHOA!!! American Select is NOT Blue Dot!!!!

These are two different powders with different burn rates and different load data. BE VERY CAREFUL.
OK, I made an assumption. The label has a red border (about 1/8"), a black background, and a large blue circle in the center on which is printed "American Select Premium Ultra-Clean Smokeless Shotshell Powder" in white lettering.

I saw the blue circle and have heard 'blue dot' associated with Alliant powders. Hence my 'assumption'. Any clarification you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams

Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #36

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

! went to my LGS to buy some powder saturday. I ran out of IMR4831 for my .270's I was loading so I walked in and asked if they had ANY powder to load .270's. They didn't have IMR4831 so I ended up with H4831SC. Turns out I like H4831SC better. $31.95 lb.'s not too bad.

Last edited by RUG3R44; 03-18-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8382 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think we are about done here, so going to close this one down.

Message to any and all that are considering getting into reloading-

1. Right now, components are scarce and pricy.
2. Powder and primers are HAZMAT when shipped- and even pricier.
3. Before you buy ANYTHING, get a good reloading book- and READ IT FIRST. I suggest ABCs of Reloading (used copies cheep on Amazon and Alibris) but there are others.
4. FOLLOW the instructions explicitly. You START at the starting load, and work up.
5. If you cannot pay attention to detail, this is not for you.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Closed Thread