Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > powder is powder, right?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 537 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 2355

When I was reloading,
I bought the
LYMAN
recipe book.
locutus Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default More info.

First of all, thank you to those who have given me valuable advice. I do appreciate that.
Secondly, I (obviously) did not communicate well in my original post. There is more information in this post. Hopefully it will clarify my intentions.

I bought the following:
Alliant "American Select" (blue dot) powder.
Hornady .45 cal (.451") 230 gr. FMJ-RN bullets. [I'm certain those are correct.]
Federal Large Pistol primers [After further study, I'm also certain that these will work well for my purposes.]

Here is some additional information. I have been going very slowly in this process. I have YET to load my first bullet but I have read extensively and chosen the equipment I wanted selectively. I have the Hornady "Reloading for Handgunners" book. The recipes in that book for .45 ACP seem relatively consistent with the lowest powder charge at 4.2 gr and the highest at 9.7 grains. For bullets weighing 230 gr. the powder charges went from 4.2 to 5.9 grains. Alliant responded with a recommendation of between 4.5 gr. and 5.0 gr. for my first attempt using their American Select powder. I will study and be certain that the powder load and bullet that I FINALLY SELECT will work in my firearm. I understand the pressures and physics of these 'controlled explosions' as well as the relative strengths of the steel used for the barrel, etc. in my weapon.

For those of you who chose to ridicule me, I do NOT appreciate that. However, I understand that the act of ridicule typically stems from your feelings of severe inadequacy, and (after all) who knows you better than yourself? There are far too many others on this forum who are willing to share their knowledge and who see me for what I am; someone who is willing to learn and who asks for help before acting. I will listen to them.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #23

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
here is a site that may help alittle. but i advise getting the ABC's of reloading, and a good manual or 2 or 3. there is a lot more than just throwing it all together.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Thank you, sir. This was helpful.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams

Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #24

Liked 178 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Take a look at the web sites for the powder manufacturers and the bullet companies. They can have a lot of useful reloading info, usually for free. One problem that can come up is that for a given bullet and powder the various manuals can disagree a fair amount; so loading to the lighter end of the scale might be a good choice. And keep coming back to this forum and read about the experiences and recommendations posted here.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #25

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

There are 7,000 grs. to a single pound of powder. Loading 5.0 grs. per round 8 lbs will last you well into your "Golden" years.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #26

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinCo
First of all, thank you to those who have given me valuable advice. I do appreciate that.
Secondly, I (obviously) did not communicate well in my original post. There is more information in this post. Hopefully it will clarify my intentions.

I bought the following:
Hornady .45 cal (.451") 230 gr. FMJ-RN bullets. [I'm certain those are correct.]
Federal Large Pistol primers [After further study, I'm also certain that these will work well for my purposes.]

Here is some additional information. I have been going very slowly in this process. I have YET to load my first bullet but I have read extensively and chosen the equipment I wanted selectively. I have the Hornady "Reloading for Handgunners" book. The recipes in that book for .45 ACP seem relatively consistent with the lowest powder charge at 4.2 gr and the highest at 9.7 grains. For bullets weighing 230 gr. the powder charges went from 4.2 to 5.9 grains. Alliant responded with a recommendation of between 4.5 gr. and 5.0 gr. for my first attempt using their American Select powder. I will study and be certain that the powder load and bullet that I FINALLY SELECT will work in my firearm. I understand the pressures and physics of these 'controlled explosions' as well as the relative strengths of the steel used for the barrel, etc. in my weapon.

For those of you who chose to ridicule me, I do NOT appreciate that. However, I understand that the act of ridicule typically stems from your feelings of severe inadequacy, and (after all) who knows you better than yourself? There are far too many others on this forum who are willing to share their knowledge and who see me for what I am; someone who is willing to learn and who asks for help before acting. I will listen to them.
Well said. I never appreciate the "you are so dumb do you know anything" attitude when you are asking for help because you already realize you don't know everything.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20935 Times on 11893 Posts
Likes Given: 52492

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinCo View Post

I bought the following:

Larry had you written this in your first post on the subject, you might not have garnered such ridicule. choosing your components is not a haphazard guess and hope they work. my suggestion still stands, you might want to look into another source for reloading components.

your first post on this made it sound like you just bought whatevr was available and then wantd to start reloading. gathering from the replies, i wasn't the only one left with this impression. listing the exact components brands and details would have gone alittle further in getting some useful information for you.

BTW, on the ridicule part, i have no severe inadequacies, so you might also want to get a little thicker skin if you hope to survive on the forums. just a friendly suggestion.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #28

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
There are 7,000 grs. to a single pound of powder. Loading 5.0 grs. per round 8 lbs will last you well into your "Golden" years.
Yep, around 11,200 loads. The OP WILL learn to like this powder..HA HA..

Larry, good luck with your Wife's health problems..Bill.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5500 Times on 3114 Posts
Likes Given: 4776

Most pistol and shotgun powders can be used in either.

Some very good powders for handgun loading are marked "shotgun powder" on the can.

They're the same burning rate.

But do consult a reloading manual and abide by it.

Winston Churchill
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #30

When you load your first round, pay attention to over all length of the cartridge for that particular bullet. Seating a bullet too deeply can increase pressure dramatically.

Closed Thread