Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > powder is powder, right?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default powder is powder, right?

Obviously, I'm new to reloading as will become clear from my story.

I have been collecting the required materials for some time, learning a little as I go along. I had called a local store (don't want a libel lawsuit so I will not name it) and asked about primers and powder. They informed me that their shipments arrive on Friday mornings before the store opens and suggested that I be there very early. When I arrived, I was VERY surprised to see two very long lines of people (I estimate nearly 100 people total) so I joined one. A few minutes before the store was scheduled to open, an employee came out and informed us that one line was for firearms and the other was for powder, primers, and bullets for reloading. Luckily, I was in the correct line. When it was my turn, I asked for primers, powder and bullets. The sales person asked "What kind?" I said for .45 ACP. They turned to ask someone else ".45 ACP takes large pistol primers, right?". That person said "I think so." So I received a box of large pistol primers and a box of .45 cal round nose bullets. He then asked "What kind of powder?" I answered "I'd like a large container." He said "We have 8 lb. containers." I said "That's fine." He handed me the powder and I went to another line to pay for it all.

When I got home, I read the labels. The primers and bullets seem OK, but the powder was labeled as "Premium Ultra-clean Shotshell Powder". Below was another line stating "Good for pistols, too."

My question is simple. Did I get ******* or can I use this powder in .45 ACP reloading?

I am NOT so concerned with 1/4 inch repeatability for shot groups as simply good functioning cheap ammunition for pleasure shooting.

P.S. I contacted the powder manufacturer and they recommended trying 4.5 to 5.0 grains of this powder for the initial loads and gave a caution of ensuring that the firearm 'cycles properly' when fired.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

Liked 638 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 386

How is it that YOU didn't know what to buy before going? From what I've heard, reloading is not just "stick in a primer-ish and some powder-ish, stuff a bullet and done."

Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1248 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Do you have a loading manual? Is the powder listed in your manual? If the answer is no to either question, find some reliable loading data. You can find links on line. You NEED a good loading manual. There is a lot of information in there as Minimum Overall Cartridge Length, starting loads, maximum loads etc. Find out how to load safely before you blow up a gun and injure yourself or someone else.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

People Like This 
Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16816 Times on 9745 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

you might want to re-evaluate your learning curve before reloading. first suggestion would be to get the book, The ABC's of Reloading and read through it several times and then read it again. then buy a couple of reloading manuals and read throught them and see what powders you might want to try. while some shotgun powders can be used in pistol loads, i would be doubly sure before trying and i would also recommend using load data from a trusted source before trying them out in any pistol.

you might want to find another place to shop that's not so crowded and rushed when selecting reloading components. reloading is not an area by any means to just do with whatever they have available and what a clerk hands you and says will work. you need to KNOW they are the correct and proper components. way too much risk involved in doing things this way.

safety above all else when reloading potentially dangerous components, being shot from a firearm. good way to lose a hand, or fingers or even your eyesight if something goes wrong.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can you tell us what kind of powder you got, and what type of bullets?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default So FULL of FAIL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinCo View Post

I have been collecting the required materials for some time, learning a little as I go along. I had called a local store (don't want a libel lawsuit so I will not name it) and asked about primers and powder. They informed me that their shipments arrive on Friday mornings before the store opens and suggested that I be there very early. When I arrived, I was VERY surprised to see two very long lines of people (I estimate nearly 100 people total) so I joined one. A few minutes before the store was scheduled to open, an employee came out and informed us that one line was for firearms and the other was for powder, primers, and bullets for reloading. Luckily, I was in the correct line. When it was my turn, I asked for primers, powder and bullets. The sales person asked "What kind?" I said for .45 ACP. They turned to ask someone else ".45 ACP takes large pistol primers, right?". That person said "I think so." So I received a box of large pistol primers and a box of .45 cal round nose bullets. He then asked "What kind of powder?" I answered "I'd like a large container." He said "We have 8 lb. containers." I said "That's fine." He handed me the powder and I went to another line to pay for it all.

When I got home, I read the labels. The primers and bullets seem OK, but the powder was labeled as "Premium Ultra-clean Shotshell Powder". Below was another line stating "Good for pistols, too."

My question is simple. Did I get ******* or can I use this powder in .45 ACP reloading?

I am NOT so concerned with 1/4 inch repeatability for shot groups as simply good functioning cheap ammunition for pleasure shooting.

P.S. I contacted the powder manufacturer and they recommended trying 4.5 to 5.0 grains of this powder for the initial loads and gave a caution of ensuring that the firearm 'cycles properly' when fired.
What you NEED is a good load book+some time to become aware of what is needed to know BEFORE you undertake this rewarding hobby.

If you show up at your favorite reloading store to stand in line for their products+just tell them you want powder, primers,+bullets for .45acp., you have NOT done your part.

You probably do not want to hear this, but you need to "Park" any reloading components you have bought until you have read a couple of reloading handbooks cover to cover..

Two good ones are: ABC's of Reloading, and Lyman's 49th Edition..Bill.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Last edited by BILLYBOB44; 03-16-2013 at 10:55 PM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #7

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im with everyone else on this one. Ive only been reloading for a year and just throwing together whatever you have in a case hoping it will work is a very bad idea. Get some good reloading books and read read read. Before i even started reloading i spent 4 months reading the abc speers hornady and lymans books. And i always cross reference with my books. Even with my cases i do every week. Cant be to careful.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinCo View Post

What powder did you get? There are a number of powders that work well with both shotguns and handguns, some are easier to use than others. Fortunately .45 acp is one of those calibers that can use lots of different powders well.
Ditto the manual. For reloading, no such thing as TMI. Download the appropriate data for your application and hunt down a good manual. Additionally, I recommend the Lyman 49th Edition. It has much of the tutorial stuff as well as lots of data that is not as brand specific as some others.
Always have a number of options in mind when your looking for components.
If your local shop doesn't have loading data in the store for you to look at (mine does), photocopy and highlight the load data you will be working with.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-17-2013 at 03:53 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Holy mad scientist Batman!!!!!!

It's a headline just waiting to be printed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16816 Times on 9745 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Holy mad scientist Batman!!!!!!

It's a headline just waiting to be printed.
damn, DrumJunkie! why be shy? tell us what you really think!

Closed Thread