Powder Measures - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Powder Measures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Powder measures

Well it appears we are all on the same page. My effort was to see what equipment some of us had, and what they like or did not like about the powder measure. I have an old Lyamn 55 Iíve had it since 68, Iíve placed it in semi-retirement, it will throw a nice charge; but itís chore to setup! Have a RCBS electronic thingy digital measure with scale; itís dam accurate BUT SLOW, if you time everything right you can go about and write notes, go use the head, answer the phone, and come back; OK Iím exaggerating a little! Iíve recently acquired a Hornaday measure, have one on the Hornaday Progressive, and another on the bench. It likes some powder, and not others; perhaps it needs a break in period. Iím not too happy with it, with the mic/adjustment it is very touchy; the one on the progressive seems to work better. I may take your advice and send it back to Hornaday, and have them look at it. I agree 100% with the exception of the digital (I donít know if Iíll live long enough to do a 100 cases with it) I trickle my accuracy loads; makes a BIG DIFFERNCE, and always when approaching that maximum level; youíre an idiot if you donít! I.E. the picture of blown up firearmsÖ. What else is out there, any one have anything about Lee???? Redding????

Old 11-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Powder measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Highpower posted the best powder measure out there. If you are looking for accuracy then a culver type (Harrell's ) are the cats azz when it comes to this.

As far as powder measures that normal people use I love my RCBS it is 60+ years old and on it's 3 owner. It got rusted up real bad after being stored for 6 to 8 months by the army. One call and $7 in postage got me a powder measure that was the same as brand new. RCBS will fix or replace any equipment for the life of that equipment. Hornady will also do this as will many reloading companies.

3brmeasure.html

Reloading - Shop Reloading Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA
++1 with Tango. I have had my Uniflow powder measure for 35+ years and it's just now getting broken in. For the most acc. I set to just below charge wt. and then trickle in to center the weighing scale.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Powder Measures

Thats what I've been doing. and I think your right; there is abreaking in period, the one on the progressive works great, but it's older has had quite a few charges run through. Maybe my other measure was made on a Monday or Friday and needs a littel more time. It did what it was suppose to do, went hunting and the 4 carrtridges I loaded for the trip, 243 WCF, 30WCF, 308 WCF, and the mighty 358 WCF all shot great, with the 243 & 358 going sub MOA.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #14

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

I use a cheap Lee,a RCBS,and just bought a Redding 3BR precission dispenser. I have thought about getting a PACT electronic dispenser,but just keep doing it the old fashion way.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:18 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Powder Measures

Txhillbilly; how you like that lee? IS the redding as good as they say it is?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by McX358 View Post
Thats what I've been doing. and I think your right; there is abreaking in period, the one on the progressive works great, but it's older has had quite a few charges run through. Maybe my other measure was made on a Monday or Friday and needs a littel more time. It did what it was suppose to do, went hunting and the 4 carrtridges I loaded for the trip, 243 WCF, 30WCF, 308 WCF, and the mighty 358 WCF all shot great, with the 243 & 358 going sub MOA.
That's some pretty good shooting, Mc. Looks like you need to keep doing what your doing...