Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Powder Measures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Powder Measures

OK! You ammo-twisters out there; which is the best POWDER MEASURE out there? We are looking for one, which will set and drop a charge of IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 overtime within a 1/10th plus or minus. It also has to be within the reach of a working mans budget. Just want to what everyone’s idea of the best Powder Measure is, what Brand, Model, and type of Powder measure. I will reserve my comments and what I have till near the end.

"A man with rust on his gun, is man without honor"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #2

Liked 187 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Best and budget are an oxymoron...

PREMIUM Powder Measure

Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Highpower posted the best powder measure out there. If you are looking for accuracy then a culver type (Harrell's ) are the cats azz when it comes to this.

As far as powder measures that normal people use I love my RCBS it is 60+ years old and on it's 3 owner. It got rusted up real bad after being stored for 6 to 8 months by the army. One call and $7 in postage got me a powder measure that was the same as brand new. RCBS will fix or replace any equipment for the life of that equipment. Hornady will also do this as will many reloading companies.

3brmeasure.html

Reloading - Shop Reloading Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"We are looking for one, which will set and drop a charge of IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 overtime within a 1/10th plus or minus. It also has to be within the reach of a working mans budget."

Understand the desire. But, when I read this, first thing that came to mind was the old saying, "Yeah, and people in hell want ice water but it ain't gonna happen." What you are ask is impossible, coarse powders just don't measure that well.

That fact is what drove some inventors to cobble up the electronic powder dispensers/tricklers controlled by a digital scale and now sold by RCBS and Lyman. If they are within your budget, get one. Otherwise....it's just not available, not at any price.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
HRCBS will fix or replace any equipment for the life of that equipment.
Tango, this is CERTAINLY good to know. I bought a Rockchucker and Piggyback II from an old school buddy of mine that could use looking at. I never got into reloading that much, but if they'll straighten out the mistreated pieces, then good times are ahead.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Even though RCBS is HQed in COMMIEfornia they are still good people.

Just ring them up and see what they say.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Roger that.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #8

Liked 187 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post

That fact is what drove some inventors to cobble up the electronic powder dispensers/tricklers controlled by a digital scale and now sold by RCBS and Lyman.
The electronic scale/measure combination's truly are a welcome addition to any reloaders workbench if you are working up different loads. The ability to change charge weights with the push of a few buttons on the fly is a great feature, but the system quickly becomes a boat anchor if you are trying to crank out a large volume of ammunition. They are just too slow in the delivery of each charge. That is where the powder measures really shine - the number of cases you can fill in "x" amount of time. The question then becomes, how accurate are each of those charges going to be, compared to the trickle & scale methods?

And how much am I willing to spend to get that accuracy?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

when i load where i need EXACT measures each time like accuracy rounds for my .308 i measure each charge by hand using a trickle measure to get the right weight.

there isnt a measure out that can really do what your asking.

anytime your working near max loads you should hand measure. anytime your working with making super accurate loads you should hand measure.

i dont hand measure pistol rounds or rounds for my various 5.56 rifles.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I like my Lyman Dps III. It is not as fast as a powder measure, but for loading precision rifle rounds to the 0.0 exact weight with stick powder it is hard to beat.
Set on auto dispense, I set the pan in the scale and in the time it takes to place charged brass in press and seat bullet the next charge is weighed out and waiting on me.
If you're loading single stage I'd highly recommend.

For high volume rifle(AR/AK) and pistol- I'm going to go with ball powders and use the measure on a progressive press. Thats my next investment

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down