powder measure - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > powder measure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2145 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I started out using the Lee powder measure kit with all the different scoops. It was ok for a beginer. Whatever you do buy a scale. If you are using light loads with the scoops that is ok. But if you are geting up close to max you need to weigh the charges. I use an RBCS balance beam scale and an RBCS powder measure. They are rather expensive. But when it comes to reloading the good stuff is never cheap. A powder measure speeds up production big time. I can charge 50 rounds of just about anything in just a few minutes. You cant do that with the scoops.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #22

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I just got a Lee Loadmaster, I'm willing

to trade for a turret press.

PM me, if you use Loadmaster equipment.

I'm also looking for used brass, and/or 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R dies.

Makeyouoneheckuvadeal...

Last edited by therewolf; 06-02-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

t.w.w.

i'm a lee fan, but don't like their powder measures or scales (except the scoops). their designs are good (dillon pays them a licensing fee for the design), but their product leaves something to be desired.

rcbs/hornady/lyman adjustable powder measures work, but the one i prefer for handgun is my rcbs 'lil dandy, its fixed volume, rotor system delivers powder consistently without worrying about adjustments getting out of whack. they're inexpensive initially, but rotors are $10 each...and there are 26. they ought to give the 'li dandy away and make their money on the rotors!

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #24

I don't trust powder measures so I never use them. I use the Lee powder scoops. I find the one that is a grain or two under the measures load I want, pour it into the scale tray, and use a powder trickler to bring the load up to the exact weight. Does not really take very long.
cottontop

Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

too much cottontop...adjustables aren't the devil's spawn. if you check every 10th charge or so, fixed-rotor measures are merely an extension of your beloved scoop set...which is why i like the 'lil dandy so much.

if you routinely load at MAXIMUM levels for a caliber, weighing every charge makes sense...personally, i think you need a bigger gun...i prefer middle-of-the-road, and that where these measures shine!

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Please remember that every gun has been proof tested.
Except for, maybe, Clays and TiteGroup, all the other powders I know are well behaved and a 0.1 or 0.2gn over max is not going to be dangerous--that safety margin is built into the max load peak pressure. This is why some powders (see Clays) will, for certain cartridges have less than 1.0gn between max and min--and some I have seen are only 0.4gn from start to max. This tells me immediately that that powder is not a good choice for that cartridge and bullet weight.
I know that is just me, but I started loading on a progressive press when Hornady first came out with a progressive press (about a year or two after Dillon brought out a 4-station press). I fund that anything that took me out of the routine was a great opportunity for errors. Finally, someone case out with a powder-through expander and powder measure. Before that, I had to force myself to inspect every case before I place a bullet on the case.
So, I need auto-indexing and automatic powder dispenser. In a little over 45 years of reloading, the only problem I had was weighing individual charges and charging by hand and spilled the powder when going to the powder funnel. I cleaned up, but I can only conclude that some of the spilt powder got into the case after priming. I had been disturbed and lost the rhythm and made a mistake. Once in about 42 years isn't too bad, but it is one more than I ever wanted to make.
Whatever your "ritual" is, if it produces safe loads and you are happy, continue. Others may consider it OCD or anal, but they are your loads and you are going to be shooting them.
I prefer the repeatability of the machine and recognize the lack of repeatability in my self.