Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > powder measure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have the Perfect Powder Measure:
1) It feels flimsy--all plastic
2) It meters very consistently
3) It leaks with some fine powders, but if you disassemble the measure, clean it out, and re-assemble with more tension, it works. Even when it leaks, it is still very consistent. Put paper below it to collect any leaking powder and pour it back into the hopper. Do NOT tighten the tension with powder leaking--you'll only make things worse and could damage the interface of the cones.
4) Run a hopper full of graphitized powder or even straight graphite powder to coat the measure's internals
5) As time passes, the two cones that rub together will "mesh" together better and better and leaking will be reduced/eliminated
6) The first rule with ALL Lee equipment is follow every direction and suggestion they make. Too many don't read directions and have problems that would have been eliminated if they just the instructions and heeded them.
You can also make your own "custom" dipper for your load.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

Liked 4715 Times on 2692 Posts
Likes Given: 3731

I guess I consider the powder measure and scale the most critical parts of the reloading process.

I would avoid LEE on either. That's not to say that I don't use LEE products, just that when it comes to critical items, I want the very best, not the cheapest.

Get a scale and powder measure from Redding or /RCBS.

Most of the time, the most expensive item on the shelf ends up being the cheapest in the long run.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #13

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Though I have, and often use a Redding powder measure, there is nothing wrong with dippers. All measures work by volume, same as a dipper.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

LEE perfect works fine. Dillion is a very good powder drop system. I have used both extensively and am very satisfied with their performance. Trail boss is usually accurate +/- .4 grains in most measures. If you can detect the difference in a load that is .4 grains more than normal....well I sure wanna shake your hand Mr Gazoo!

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #15

Liked 2181 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1759

I really like my Dillon scale.

The Lyman 500 it replaced is now just for

double-checking. The Dillon is so much clearer,

especially with the smaller loads.

I was fortunate to catch an entire box of double loads

from the Lyman, it's so easy to confuse 5 & 10 grain

increments.

My powder hopper is a relic I'm sure was used by

Alfred Nobel before the Earth's crust cooled. So I'm

also looking for a dependable powder measure...

Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #16

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
I have the Perfect Powder Measure:
1) It feels flimsy--all plastic
2) It meters very consistently
3) It leaks with some fine powders, but if you disassemble the measure, clean it out, and re-assemble with more tension, it works. Even when it leaks, it is still very consistent. Put paper below it to collect any leaking powder and pour it back into the hopper. Do NOT tighten the tension with powder leaking--you'll only make things worse and could damage the interface of the cones.
4) Run a hopper full of graphitized powder or even straight graphite powder to coat the measure's internals
5) As time passes, the two cones that rub together will "mesh" together better and better and leaking will be reduced/eliminated
6) The first rule with ALL Lee equipment is follow every direction and suggestion they make. Too many don't read directions and have problems that would have been eliminated if they just the instructions and heeded them.
You can also make your own "custom" dipper for your load.
IMHO, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is a great idea that was executed too cheaply. If all I used was Bullseye, it would be fine, except for the leakage. Unique, well that's something else entirely, +/- .3 gr on a good day just doesn't cut it. The leakage isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying. If one dials up the tension, it becomes a stiff bastard to use, and it still leaks. I'd like to see someone build the LEE in metal to see if that fixes all the "quirks." Simply because something can be made to work, doesn't make it the best possible solution. If I want "quirkiness," I'll buy a classic British car. I ended up buying a Redding 3BR & a Pistol chamber for it. It simply just works without the whole song & dance.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
IMHO, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is a great idea that was executed too cheaply. If all I used was Bullseye, it would be fine, except for the leakage. Unique, well that's something else entirely, +/- .3 gr on a good day just doesn't cut it. The leakage isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying. If one dials up the tension, it becomes a stiff bastard to use, and it still leaks. I'd like to see someone build the LEE in metal to see if that fixes all the "quirks." Simply because something can be made to work, doesn't make it the best possible solution. If I want "quirkiness," I'll buy a classic British car. I ended up buying a Redding 3BR & a Pistol chamber for it. It simply just works without the whole song & dance.
Wouldn't metal be dangerous due to static electricity?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #18

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have one that works well, I leave the handle in the up position after the case is charged. That way the new charge settles in for the next case. Mine does not leak but it does better with ball powders over stick.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #19

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwashere View Post
Wouldn't metal be dangerous due to static electricity?
Plastic has a bigger issue w/ static than cast iron. It's really only an issue in the hopper. With the powder cling to the walls & such, and it's pretty common with all of them. Hence the "wipe with a bounce sheet" recommendation.
FWIW, Smokeless powder isn't really that sensitive. The RCBS, Lyman & Redding are all made of metal, and have been for decades.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 05-25-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
Plastic has a bigger issue w/ static than cast iron. It's really only an issue in the hopper. With the powder cling to the walls & such, and it's pretty common with all of them. Hence the "wipe with a bounce sheet" recommendation.
FWIW, Smokeless powder isn't really that sensitive. The RCBS, Lyman & Redding are all made of metal, and have been for decades.
That makes sense, thanks for the info :-)