Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > powder measure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default powder measure

I recently started reloading for 7.62 Nagant, and have really gotten the hang of it, but it takes a really long time to do 50 rds with the standard scale/scoop process. I was looking online and saw that lee makes a perfect powder measure that goes by volume instead of weight. They're pretty cheap at $20. Does anyone have any experience with it? Are there any better ones around the same price (or up to $40-$50)?
What is the typical process when using one of these powder measures? Do you still check it with the scale?
Since the ammo is for a Nagant revolver, the powder does not have to be super precise.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I recently started reloading for 7.62 Nagant, and have really gotten the hang of it, but it takes a really long time to do 50 rds with the standard scale/scoop process. I was looking online and saw that lee makes a perfect powder measure that goes by volume instead of weight. They're pretty cheap at $20. Does anyone have any experience with it? Are there any better ones around the same price (or up to $40-$50)?
What is the typical process when using one of these powder measures? Do you still check it with the scale?
Since the ammo is for a Nagant revolver, the powder does not have to be super precise.

Thanks
Aaron, i have one, and find i'm nost using it as much as i use to. it works pretty good with some powders, but not so good with some. depends on what shape the powder is. what i use a lot of now, are the LEE powder scoops. buy the set and try those out. they are really inexpensive and i have had good luck with them.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #3

The powder I'm using is IMR Trail Boss, so it's like doughnut shaped flakes.

Thanks, I'll buy some and try them out. $10 is not bad at all.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 05-14-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #4

Quote:
The powder I'm using is IMR Trail Boss, so it's like doughnut shaped flakes.

Thanks, I'll buy some and try them out. $10 is not bad at all.
your welcome. if you buy LEE dies, they come with one in the set along with a shellholder. most other brands you have to buy the shellholder separate and they range from about $5-10 each. most o the die sets i buy now are the LEE's and they work really well and are very easy to setup and adjust. just something to consider next time you need to buy dies for another caliber.

BTW, when are going to do another conference call? send me a PM, or give me a call at the house sometime.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #5

My dies are lee dies, and so far I love them.

The powder scoop that came with it is a little big though. I'll probably still get the set so I can figure out what size is the best for my loads (3 gr).

As for the conference call, we are going to try again pretty soon. I'll let you know what week were going to try to do it on.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
My dies are lee dies, and so far I love them.

The powder scoop that came with it is a little big though. I'll probably still get the set so I can figure out what size is the best for my loads (3 gr).

As for the conference call, we are going to try again pretty soon. I'll let you know what week were going to try to do it on.
sounds good. i too like the LEE dies. great products.

i sent you an email. holler at you later.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I am a huge proponent of Lee equipment. I have all Lee carbide dies, Lee turret press, etc etc.

That being typed, i dislike the Lee powder measure. Its inconsistent at best when throwing charges. Not bad Unique, a little better with IMR 4227, a little worse with 2400 but WAY off with IMR 4895.

So i throw every charge into the pan that came with my Lee beam scale (dont much care for the scale either, too easy to bump and no way to lock in the charge you want) and toss on the digi scales...then i use one of the dippers that came with my dies to either scoop some out of the pan or trickle some in to make weight. Slightly time consuming depending on the powder used, but i am SURE of my charge in every round.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #8

I got the RCBS Uniflow powder measure with my kit, and I am very happy with it so far. It's fast and accurate, at least to the 10th of a grain, and infinitely adjustable. But they are about $70 if you buy one by itself. Regardless, I check the weight of about each 10th charge when I am loading, and have never had any noticeable variation once I get it set. Of course I have no experience with anything other than Unique and W231 so far, so it might not be so great with other powders.

Travis'n'Texas

Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5199 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 4421

I trust powder measures from Redding and RCBS.

Golda Meier.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 730

As someone who loads with Trail Boss, your gonna want to use the lee powder scoop set.. Im sure the one that came with the dies are for a certain powder(s)...