Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   powder measure (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/powder-measure-64444/)

texaswoodworker 05-14-2012 03:52 AM

powder measure

I recently started reloading for 7.62 Nagant, and have really gotten the hang of it, but it takes a really long time to do 50 rds with the standard scale/scoop process. I was looking online and saw that lee makes a perfect powder measure that goes by volume instead of weight. They're pretty cheap at $20. Does anyone have any experience with it? Are there any better ones around the same price (or up to $40-$50)?
What is the typical process when using one of these powder measures? Do you still check it with the scale?
Since the ammo is for a Nagant revolver, the powder does not have to be super precise.

Thanks

Axxe55 05-14-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 800627)
I recently started reloading for 7.62 Nagant, and have really gotten the hang of it, but it takes a really long time to do 50 rds with the standard scale/scoop process. I was looking online and saw that lee makes a perfect powder measure that goes by volume instead of weight. They're pretty cheap at $20. Does anyone have any experience with it? Are there any better ones around the same price (or up to $40-$50)?
What is the typical process when using one of these powder measures? Do you still check it with the scale?
Since the ammo is for a Nagant revolver, the powder does not have to be super precise.

Thanks

Aaron, i have one, and find i'm nost using it as much as i use to. it works pretty good with some powders, but not so good with some. depends on what shape the powder is. what i use a lot of now, are the LEE powder scoops. buy the set and try those out. they are really inexpensive and i have had good luck with them.

texaswoodworker 05-14-2012 04:09 AM

The powder I'm using is IMR Trail Boss, so it's like doughnut shaped flakes.

Thanks, I'll buy some and try them out. $10 is not bad at all. :D

Axxe55 05-14-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 800645)
The powder I'm using is IMR Trail Boss, so it's like doughnut shaped flakes.

Thanks, I'll buy some and try them out. $10 is not bad at all. :D

your welcome. if you buy LEE dies, they come with one in the set along with a shellholder. most other brands you have to buy the shellholder separate and they range from about $5-10 each. most o the die sets i buy now are the LEE's and they work really well and are very easy to setup and adjust. just something to consider next time you need to buy dies for another caliber.

BTW, when are going to do another conference call? send me a PM, or give me a call at the house sometime.

texaswoodworker 05-14-2012 05:46 AM

My dies are lee dies, and so far I love them. :D

The powder scoop that came with it is a little big though. I'll probably still get the set so I can figure out what size is the best for my loads (3 gr).

As for the conference call, we are going to try again pretty soon. I'll let you know what week were going to try to do it on.

Axxe55 05-14-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 800735)
My dies are lee dies, and so far I love them. :D

The powder scoop that came with it is a little big though. I'll probably still get the set so I can figure out what size is the best for my loads (3 gr).

As for the conference call, we are going to try again pretty soon. I'll let you know what week were going to try to do it on.

sounds good. i too like the LEE dies. great products.

i sent you an email. holler at you later.

fmj 05-14-2012 11:10 AM

I am a huge proponent of Lee equipment. I have all Lee carbide dies, Lee turret press, etc etc.

That being typed, i dislike the Lee powder measure. Its inconsistent at best when throwing charges. Not bad Unique, a little better with IMR 4227, a little worse with 2400 but WAY off with IMR 4895.

So i throw every charge into the pan that came with my Lee beam scale (dont much care for the scale either, too easy to bump and no way to lock in the charge you want) and toss on the digi scales...then i use one of the dippers that came with my dies to either scoop some out of the pan or trickle some in to make weight. Slightly time consuming depending on the powder used, but i am SURE of my charge in every round.

Staestc 05-14-2012 12:05 PM

I got the RCBS Uniflow powder measure with my kit, and I am very happy with it so far. It's fast and accurate, at least to the 10th of a grain, and infinitely adjustable. But they are about $70 if you buy one by itself. Regardless, I check the weight of about each 10th charge when I am loading, and have never had any noticeable variation once I get it set. Of course I have no experience with anything other than Unique and W231 so far, so it might not be so great with other powders.

locutus 05-14-2012 03:41 PM

I trust powder measures from Redding and RCBS.

Trez 05-14-2012 04:07 PM

As someone who loads with Trail Boss, your gonna want to use the lee powder scoop set.. Im sure the one that came with the dies are for a certain powder(s)...