Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Powder Marks on case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Powder Marks on case

I just started reloading and after my first range session with my first reloads I've got some "interesting" powder marks on the neck of the case.
My load is;
.30-06
165gr. Hornady SST
49.5 gr. IMR 4895

All the loads are once fired brass out of my Savage Edge.
After firing I checked all the cases and each one has two U-shaped powder "burns" that extend the length of the neck and meet up at the mouth of the case.
My question is, are my loads correct, are the "burn" marks an indicator of something I need to be concerned with or is it just a side effect of my particular load?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesDad View Post
My question is, are my loads correct, are the "burn" marks an indicator of something I need to be concerned with or is it just a side effect of my particular load?
Some loads take a instant for the neck to seal completely and there will be that carbon deposit. That ring itself is nothing to worry about.

If you aren't seeing overpressure signs I would venture to tell you that your load isn't incorrect.

So we know we are on the same page, I have a video of a sooted 30-06 case.
http://youtu.be/MB1BARLZzFs

Last edited by The_Kid; 07-19-2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: added a video

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You can try and increase your powder charge to see if it clears up. You are right about at the Min for your bullet/powder combo, bump it up and see.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #4

The case in the video is virtually identical to mine. I'm not sure if I understood your post exactlly, does that mean my load is fine, or the charge is a little light? I'm not showing any signs of overpressure.
thanks very much for the video, that helped immensely.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It could be.......

First the least likely. The rifle's chamber/throat is screwed up. If the factory loads didn't leave the soot, I would scratch this one off the list.

Two options in one. Too little pressure and the case mouth doesn't get pushed out (fast enough) to seal the escaping gasses and some soot gets on the outside of the neck. Too much pressure and gasses try to escape back in the chamber and some soot gets on the outside of the neck.

A quick glance at Hodgdon's on line loading data shows something similar to your loading. One min/max is 44.4 to 47.8. Your loading of 49.5 grains would be high. But, a second listing is min/max of 49.0 to 52.0. Your 49.2 is in line with this one.

Now to the real question/s.
Are any pressure signs being exhibited (flattened primers, hard extraction, etc.)?
Does this loading meet with your desired uses for it?
How accurate is this load?

If your answers to the above is: NO, YES, and ACCEPTABLE. Don't let it trouble you. If these questions don't match, change your loading.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Aneal the case necks and this will go away. Brass "work hardens". It gets harder everytime it is shot and resized. I aneal all rifle case every time (excessive), but I am more than a little OCD. Anealing will return the necks to the malleable state that is needed to seal off properly.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps View Post

A quick glance at Hodgdon's on line loading data shows something similar to your loading. One min/max is 44.4 to 47.8. Your loading of 49.5 grains would be high. But, a second listing is min/max of 49.0 to 52.0. Your 49.2 is in line with this one.

This data is for the Hornady GMX an all copper bullet, the SST is a lead core bullet. When data for the exact bullet cannot be found, it's best to use data of same weight of similar construction. In other words, do not use lead core bullet data with solid copper bullets and verse-visa.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I beg your pass, I was only looking at bullet weight and the charge. I fully agree with sticking with similar bullet design and construction when building a load. I just didn't look that deep.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #9

Does anybody have a hornady reloading manual? If so does it give load info for the 165 sst? Because I've checked other spots online and my load should be fine, but on further inspection of the cases I am getting a slight amount of primer flattening. Should I scrap the load? If so any recommendations on how to salvage 40 rounds of lightly crimped brass and quality bullets. Obviously I need to do a small test batch for load development, not fill a box.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesDad View Post
Does anybody have a hornady reloading manual? If so does it give load info for the 165 sst? Because I've checked other spots online and my load should be fine, but on further inspection of the cases I am getting a slight amount of primer flattening. Should I scrap the load? If so any recommendations on how to salvage 40 rounds of lightly crimped brass and quality bullets. Obviously I need to do a small test batch for load development, not fill a box.

Hornady #7 has data for their 165gr SST, but no IMR 4895.

Reading primers is about as accurate as reading Tea leaves. Flattened primers can be caused by many things, high pressure being only one of them. Your load is at the bottom end according to Hodgdon, so I highly doubt you have a high pressure situation. More likely your brass has been sized to much causing a slight headspace issue. With excess headspace the primer can back out, then the case head is slammed back intro the bolt face flattening the primer, giving the false impression of a high pressure load.