Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > powder in deep freeze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20835 Times on 11847 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem1959 View Post
how can condensation get in a deep freeze?the powder would come out in 1lb sealed cans unopened till up to room temp then used up.the door to verticle freezer is not locked and open easily.no kids in house.
maybe, maybe not. it's your powder so do as you please. you were asking for input and that was mine. honestly, in all the years i have been around firearms and reloaders, it's the very first time i have ever heard of storing powder in a freezer.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #12

Default thanx

axe,thank you for your input! I like my friends idea and would like to use it if it is not harmful to powder or primers.seems like a firesafe storage,and handy for my storade needs.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20835 Times on 11847 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem1959 View Post
axe,thank you for your input! I like my friends idea and would like to use it if it is not harmful to powder or primers.seems like a firesafe storage,and handy for my storade needs.
even thought the powder container is sealed, it going from cold to warm, the container can still form condensation on the inside possibly.

IMO, i don't think it's a good idea. i live in a very humid part of Texas, and we have never had a problem with our powders. my father use to reload, i reload and have several friends that reload and to date have not had any problems with moisture.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #14

Liked 178 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I do put certain chemical goodies into a refrigerator to extend the shelf life. But I would not bother with freezing gunpowder. There are two reasons. If 40 year old milsurp ammo still works well after being treated roughly, it tells me that gunpowder is pretty stable stuff. The other reason is that bringing a freezing container out into a warm, humid room will attract condensation to the powder container; it must remain closed until it reaches room temperature to prevent condensation getting onto the powder itself.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #15

Default fireproof

the reason i am considering this is for fire saftey...i have a freezer close to reloading bench....if the cold temp is not detramental to powder,primers,or loaded ammo it would make things easy for me.again no in and out of freezer,and every thing brought to room temp before unsealing.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #16

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Air in the 1 lbs, 4 lbs and 8 lbs containers has moisture in it. All air contains water vapor. When you drop the tempature of the area that the container is in, it forms ice cristals. This is general indicated as freezer burn. When taken out and brought to room tempature it turns back first to liquid water and then depening on the tempature back into vapor.

What effect this has on powder and primers, I can not say, but it certianly is not good on concrete, rocks or any other solid objects.

If you read the instructions on the containers of powder, it says to store in a "COOL, DRY PLACE", not a "COLD, DRY PLACE".

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 04-29-2013 at 04:52 PM.
axxe55 Likes This