Powder for .44 mag - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Powder for .44 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 177 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default Powder for .44 Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Just my opinion, but if your data is still using "Hercules," it's time to splurge on some new data. Opinions vary, but in the last couple decades pressure measure has become much more accurate. So you will probably find that in some cases Max loads have come down some vs. the good ol' days. Though I don't know for sure, it's entirely possible that today's Alliant 2400 isn't exactly the same as the old Hercules 2400.
Alliant has data online: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1

I can't say your old data isn't still valid, but it's worth a sanity check against modern data just to be on the safe side.
Somewhere in the reloading area here is a thread dedicated to online data sources.
All of my loading manuals are about 50 years old and, while I still consult them, that is just where I start when working up a load. I use the online data offered by the manufacturers and stay away from what I see in some online sources were Willie Lump-Lump says this is the best he ever used. I do use some data from people I have known for decades who are sane, stable reloaders I trust, but I always check their data against the manuals and the manufacturer's data before I decide on a load I want to use. I have two friends I trust when it comes to load data, both love H110 for .44 Mag.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

locutus Likes This