Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Powder for .44 mag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/powder-44-mag-104843/)

west33 03-07-2014 12:15 PM

Powder for .44 mag
 
Hello, I want to start reloading some .44 mag . I curently use Hodgdon hp-38 for my 9mm. Just wondering if that's a good powder for .44 mag or if there's a better powder for that caliber. Thanks for the help!

Axxe55 03-07-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west33 (Post 1524540)
Hello, I want to start reloading some .44 mag . I curently use Hodgdon hp-38 for my 9mm. Just wondering if that's a good powder for .44 mag or if there's a better powder for that caliber. Thanks for the help!

personally i use Alliant Power Pistol for my 44 Spl. and 44 Mag. loads. i use it for all my pistol loads with pretty good results so far. seems to be a very versatile powder for pistol loads.

rjd3282 03-07-2014 12:29 PM

Other good powders are 2400, H110/W296 and IMR 4227.

Rick1967 03-07-2014 12:37 PM

I use Titegroup for all of my pistol calibers. I shoot a lot of 44 special and 44 mag. But when I want to make really heavy wrist breaking 44 mag loads I use H110. But it is not safe to reduce H110. So with that it is all or nothing. There are no girly 44 mag loads with H110. (no offense intended to the ladies)

Overkill0084 03-07-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west33 (Post 1524540)
Hello, I want to start reloading some .44 mag . I curently use Hodgdon hp-38 for my 9mm. Just wondering if that's a good powder for .44 mag or if there's a better powder for that caliber. Thanks for the help!

What are you trying to achieve?
For light plinking loads HP38/231 will be fine.
For full strength, "no more messing around" loads, 296/H110, one of the 4227 powders or 2400 will be better options.

Time to break out the data.

west33 03-07-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 1524605)
What are you trying to achieve?
For light plinking loads HP38/231 will be fine.
For full strength, "no more messing around" loads, 296/H110, one of the 4227 powders or 2400 will be better options.

Time to break out the data.

For now I'm looking for target loads. But I am going on a boar hunt next month and I'm considering using the .44 mag. Thanks for all the advise everyone!

25-5 03-07-2014 05:38 PM

I only use .44 magnum brass. Load to spl. Or mag. specs. W296 or Tightgroup.

Anna_Purna 03-07-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1524557)
I use Titegroup for all of my pistol calibers. I shoot a lot of 44 special and 44 mag. But when I want to make really heavy wrist breaking 44 mag loads I use H110. But it is not safe to reduce H110. So with that it is all or nothing. There are no girly 44 mag loads with H110. (no offense intended to the ladies)

I know how you guys shoot, so none taken! :p

locutus 03-07-2014 09:15 PM

I use WW 296/H110 exclusively for .44 mag, .357 mag and .30carbine.
AAC#9, 2400, 4227 will work well, but will not achieve the same velocity or power.

For reduced loads, I load .38 specials and .44 Specials.

robocop10mm 03-08-2014 12:07 AM

For full power loads I only use W296.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.