???Possible cause
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > ???Possible cause

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default ???Possible cause

Does anyone know what could have caused this.

We fired about 1000 rounds of 9 mm ammo through a Taurus 9mm, Glock, and High Point rifle.

We noticed many spent cases had these markings after firing through each weapon. Both factory and reload ammo showed this. Markings were random and didn't show on all casings in each clip fired.

All weapons were thoroughly cleaned prior to shooting.

brass-case.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Liked 811 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 249

It is nothing. When anything burns it produces smoke. All that is is smoke residue.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

The real question is how did you get 1000 rounds of 9mm?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3179 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 322

The cartridge case is a kind of a gasket. Brass gets "work hardened" in the forming process. The mouth/neck area must be anealed after forming to return it to its original soft/malleable state. Sometimes new brass is not properly anealed and it does not expand like it should. It does not get a good seal and hot gasses leak back leaving the tell tale black, sooty residue.

Reloads will eventually show this as the brass gets harder with each firing/resizing. The mouth will crack because it gets too hard. Do not sweat it too much. The brass will crack at the mouth before it gets too hard to be safe. Keep an eye out for small cracks at the mouth

Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
The real question is how did you get 1000 rounds of 9mm?
We had about 400 rounds that I picked up here and there when I could find them. We knew we were going on this trip so we started looking early.

The other 600 or so were my reloads. I'm down to about 300 rounds of reloads so it's time to get back to the bench and restock.

My brother and nephew in Texas had larger ammo.

It was a great trip. My son bagged his first hog. 212 lbs head shot at night with night vision at about 120 yards with a 300 BO. He said it was the best night of his life so far and we could see it on his face. Tasted good too.

Photos to be uploaded later.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Curt; 08-21-2013 at 02:21 PM.