Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Point Me In The Right Direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Point Me In The Right Direction

Looking for reduced loads for 7mm-08 using pistol powder, specifically Blue Dot, and 100gr. and or 110gr. bullets.

I read an article in Handloader Magazine that addressed using Trail Boss for reduced loads. It also gave the "formula" for finding a starting load by basically filling the case, weighing the charge and reducing it by a certain percentage. Figures I can't find that issue now.

If anyone has experience using Blue Dot specifically, or can give me some reading references, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7554 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Someone else walked the same path a few years ago. Please note the caution on accidentally double charging a case.

reduced loads using Blue Dot or similar - 24hourcampfire

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

If you are going to attempt this then you need to invest in this software. This is about the only safe way you can go about this.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Most pistol powders fill the case to much less than 50% capacity. This leaves the possibility of a double charge (bad Ju-Ju!).

The Lyman loading manual will have some loads for cast bullets in the 7-08 using pistol powders. Exercise EXTREME caution in trying these loads out with jacketed bullets.

I once blew up a rifle using Unique and will not do it again. My reduced loads are basically advertised starting loads. Less than that may get you in as much trouble as a 2x pistol powder load.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4460 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 255

high capacity cases using greatly reduced loads people often use case fillers to be sure the powder is near the primer. i load very reduced loads for my 458 winmag this sometimes leaqds to me having to do the tilt up the rifle thing so the pwder is near the primer and will ignite. but ive been loading for the 458 and experimenting with it for nearly 2 decades so im comfy in what it can and cant do. extremelyversatile cartridge. i digress. if your case is not full enough due to reduced loads it can cause partial ignition or detonation or a squib with no ignition at all leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel. i tend to pick the bulkiest powders available for reduced loads thereby alleviating under filled case issue. lots of people that do this use some sort of case filler working something like shotgun wadding. ive heard of folks using dacron fiber a lot. personally i just dont reduce my loads THAT low.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

C3shooter-
Thanks that's what I was looking for. Appreciate the guidance.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-