Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > pocket clips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default pocket clips

Can keeping a clip in your pocket make it so dirty that the dirt from the first few rounds can clog the gun and make it dangerous to shoot?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, most people around here usually refer to the item in question as a magazine, not a clip. Just food for thought in future posts.

As far as if keeping one in your pocket could lead it to be dirty enough to cause your gun to malfunction? Do you keep a lot of sand, nuts, bolts, twigs and berries in your pants pockets? Do you ever find yourself wading through swamps in water and sewage up to your chest? Are you a coal miner by trade?

I am sure there is a possibility of it happening, but I would find it highly unlikely that carrying a standard pistol magazine in the back pocket of your Levi's for an afternoon of shooting would cause it screw up the operation of your gun. Unless you have more problems with your weapon than just the magazine in question...

JD

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Not unless you carry sand in your pocket.

edit: damn, Dillinger beat me to it.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #4

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Clips are for your Hair, Magazines are for your guns !

Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #5

Clips and magazines: This is an old and enduring internet myth! Long story short, don't believe everything you read on the internet!

It's perfectly acceptable to call a magazine a clip, and visa versa. Clip, magazine, magazine, clip, it doesn't matter! In everyday usage it's all the same; and no differentiation needs to be made between the two.

It's Called A What?

Old 06-14-2008, 10:54 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"In everyday usage it's all the same; and no differentiation needs to be made between the two. "

That may be true enough for "everday usage", but it's wrong. And a differentiation does need to be made, otherwise who knows what is meant when one guy talks of a removable magazine and another actually speaks of a clip? I just had to check out this thread to find out what a "pocket clip" is!

In everyday usage, cartridges are "bullets", bullets are "bullet tips", semi-auto rifles are "assault rifles", assault rifles fire "high power bullets", gun powders are "explosive", .... etc. And it's all wrong.

We are involved in a somewhat technical activity and it helps if we use the technically correct words to communicate. Why accept wrong word usage simply because it's common when it can be corrected so easily? I think Dillinger did it as kindly as it could be done before he spoke to the question itself.

Last edited by 1hole; 06-14-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I am inclined to agree with 1hole. A "clip" is something for your hair or something you do to your nails. A magazine is the more correct firearms usage. Traditional or not, it is the commonly accepted correct term for a device that holds and feeds rounds of ammunition into a firearm.

Outside of that - It's better to correct and still give information, than you allow someone to continue down a less educated path.

Can we agree to disagree on this one point?

JD

Old 06-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, most people around here usually refer to the item in question as a magazine, not a clip. Just food for thought in future posts.

As far as if keeping one in your pocket could lead it to be dirty enough to cause your gun to malfunction? Do you keep a lot of sand, nuts, bolts, twigs and berries in your pants pockets? Do you ever find yourself wading through swamps in water and sewage up to your chest? Are you a coal miner by trade?

JD
"Hey, is that a magazine in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me"...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #9

i heard that the Elite Team Fighter recomends only using clips as opposed to magazines! sorry, i had to throw that in there.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
That may be true enough for "everday usage", but it's wrong. ....
Well, according to the NRA/ILA both of these terms share an identical meaning and have, historically, been used that way by: gun manufacturers, the American military, and gun owners.

Personally, I don't care what they're called; I just get tired of hearing this subject brought up over and over again by people who aren't aware of the correct historical situation and common usage.

At any rate the argument isn't with me; if you're unhappy with these definitions you might try writing to the NRA. See if they would be willing to modify their definitions to be more in line with your preference.

It's Called A What?