PMC ammo in .45ACP FMJ, how would you rate this ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > PMC ammo in .45ACP FMJ, how would you rate this ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default PMC ammo in .45ACP FMJ, how would you rate this ammo?

OK, i found a website selling this stuff for about $24 per box of 50 rounds. I've never used it. I usually use that Blazer Brass stuff & have some UMC in the big yellow box. How will this stuff compare to Blazer or UMC? Not jamming is more important to me than tight patterns are.

I'm just looking for some practice rounds here; i'll probably get a half dozen boxes, maybe ten if it gets good recommendations.

There are a couple of places with the wolf brand 45acp, how would it compare to Blazer, UMC, and/or this PMC stuff?

What about the CCI Blazer, non-brass ammo, i see it is available & similarly priced? Or even the Sellier & Benoit (sp) reloadable stuff that CheaperthanDirt (expensive dirt) has?

Sorry, i couldn't find my answers with the search function.

I'm looking for opinions, range results, or advice on good 45ACP practice ammo, please & thank you.

Last edited by orangello; 06-26-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That's a stupid price for ball ammo. The PMC stuff feeds well and is reasonably accurate, but there's no way in hell that I'd pay that much.

Keep an eye on SurplusAmmo.com, Affordable Ammo

Or, if you're really hard up and can prove to me that you're 21, I can sell off a few boxes of my personal stock for $15/box+shipping. Its all Blazer Brass.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #3

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

There is nothing wrong with PMC ammo. Every PMC ammo I have ever used, has been of good quality and the brass is great for re-loading. The price is a little stiff (should be around $15), but that will change in the coming months as ammo becomes more available. I would either wait or find it somewhere else cheaper.

Last edited by masterPsmith; 06-26-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I have been known to refer to PMC as Pretty Much Crap. Others have called it Pretty Much Cheap. Their QC seems to have come a LONG way over the last 20 years or so. In my recent experience, PMC is on par with WWB, Rem-UMC, Blazer brass, etc. It will probably shoot better than you are capable of shooting.

On a side note: A buddy of mine was developing a major power .40 load for an STI Comp gun. Once fired PMC brass was blowing out the base on every shot. Defective brass or too thin. The same load was fine with R-P, Win or FC brass. I have never heard of any problems with the .45's

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good God, I used to buy that stuff for $9 a box!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, that is what i wanted to know. It's similar in quality to Blazer ammo. I realize the price should come with lube, but it seems to be the going rate for the current time.

Matt G, i appreciate the offer, but this is just ammo i want for plinking fun (loud plinking).

I have one box of Blazer brass left & a 300 round pack of UMC; i just don't want to shoot my last box of 45 for pure fun & not be able to replace it. Of course, i do keep some nastier-looking hollowpoint ammo for defense situations (got enough to keep a loaded mag in the gun & another nearby, plenty for my situation). I'm not completely desperate yet.

I think i may pick up a couple of boxes of PMC & a box or two of the non-brass Blazer for evaluation. I don't think prices will go down before i spaz out from lack of shooting the XD. I don't reload & will probably not miss brass cases if the non-brass Blazer performs similarly enough to the brass (seems logical). I do plan to pick up the brass i do get for reloading use by somebody with more sense than me.

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh, if anybody else is jonesing as bad as me, Natchezss.whatever is the place i was looking at. I might just drive over to save on shipping, gotta ask about that.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9570 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

FWIW, I have an Auto Ordnance 1911A1 that LOVES the cheap, aluminum cased, non-reloadable Blazer 45 ACP. Disgusting, but it shoots that better than military match ammo. Reliable, accurate, frustrating.

And when you get tired of paying ridiculous prices for PMC etc, get a good reloading book, a single stage press, a scale, and a set of dies in 45 ACP. Shop carefully for used gear, you can be reloading for less than $100.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Blazer .45 ammo at my local wally world for $14.97 a box.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I check mine regularly, but always miss it.

C3shooter, I have a good scale, but I have no skills.

Last edited by orangello; 06-27-2009 at 05:37 AM.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I got all of mine back when they were selling it for $9/box. I saw that that wasn't going to last forever, so I stocked up. I've got 15 or 20 boxes of it left.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.