Please help me get into reloading.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Please help me get into reloading.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Please help me get into reloading.

Hi. I'm new to this forum. My good friend Rustyshackleford101 referred me here. I am a longtime shooter but I am new to handloading. I've just gotten into it,and I have some questions. 1) I know that I should "cross reference" data sources, but how do I go about this? The starting loads in some manuals are close to the max loads in others! 2) What is "working up a load", why is it done, and how do I do it? 3) This ones kind of tricky to word. Can I use data for one bullet on another as long as the other one is the same weight and diameter? For example, my Lyman manual has data for 158gr LSWC for .38 special. They can be only made with lyman moulds. I have Magtech 158gr LSWC bullets. Could I use the lyman data (for their propriety cast bullet) with my other cast bullets? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Default Reloading

GC,

Give us a few more details:
Your wanting to load 158 cast for a 38 Special or a 357M?
What handgun you loading for?
What primer and powder do you plan to use?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Cross referencing refers to looking at several different, reputable loading data books (on-line data tables) and comparing the load data across all of them. In the old days, we took several stone tablets, oops, too far back...we looked at several different books and chose which load we liked and started loading. I still have all of my books and check them as needed. I bought Speer, Hornady & Serria reloading manuals and found loads that varied as you did. I chose the load with the least powder (I used Unique & 2100 at the time for .38 spl & .357 mag) and loaded some, usually no more than 25 to 50, and shot them for accuracy, all the while checking for signs of excess pressure or other problems. If I didn't like the load, I would load another small batch after increasing the powder charge by a tenth grain, and shoot them, always checking for pressure signs, etc. I kept repeating that process until I had a load I liked, shot well in the gun and did what I wanted. I approached the maximum loads listed with caution since each gun is different and I didn't want to damage the gun or myself. ...more later!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFisher View Post
Hi. I'm new to this forum. My good friend Rustyshackleford101 referred me here. I am a longtime shooter but I am new to handloading. I've just gotten into it,and I have some questions. 1) I know that I should "cross reference" data sources, but how do I go about this? The starting loads in some manuals are close to the max loads in others! 2) What is "working up a load", why is it done, and how do I do it? 3) This ones kind of tricky to word. Can I use data for one bullet on another as long as the other one is the same weight and diameter? For example, my Lyman manual has data for 158gr LSWC for .38 special. They can be only made with lyman moulds. I have Magtech 158gr LSWC bullets. Could I use the lyman data (for their propriety cast bullet) with my other cast bullets? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot.
first of all, welcome to FTF and glad to have you join us. stop over in the Introductions section and say hello andlet everyone give you a proper FTF hello.

second, on reloading, my first suggestion is to get the book, "The ABC's Of Reloading" and read it several times before buying anything. it will explain a lot and help you understand the reloading process a bit better.

then once that is out of the way, it will help you decide the equipment that you need from what you want. lots of good information in that book. i highly recommend it to anyone thinking about getting into reloading. it will save you lots of needless fustration in the beginning.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #5

Also, Axx brings up a good point on reloading books. Do you have a hard copy of the lyman reloading book - If so what number edition is it?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #6

Raysendero-I was given an unopened bottle of 231,so I'll use that. I plan on using CCI small pistol primers

Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #7

I have a hard copy of Lyman's 49th edition manual. I've also read the ABCs of Reloading. I though up a bit of another conundrum. In the lyman manual, for .243 winchester, the only 100 grain bullet listed is a Hornady boat tail spitzer. Say I wanted to use a Sierra Pro Hunter (just because that's all my LGS has) it's the same diameter and weight, but it's of a not a spitzer (more of an ogive sort of shape, still pointed) and has a flat base. No bottail. Could I use the data for the hornady bullets with my sierras, or would I need a manual that has data for that particular Sierra bullet? Thanks

Old 03-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFisher View Post
I have a hard copy of Lyman's 49th edition manual. I've also read the ABCs of Reloading. I though up a bit of another conundrum. In the lyman manual, for .243 winchester, the only 100 grain bullet listed is a Hornady boat tail spitzer. Say I wanted to use a Sierra Pro Hunter (just because that's all my LGS has) it's the same diameter and weight, but it's of a not a spitzer (more of an ogive sort of shape, still pointed) and has a flat base. No bottail. Could I use the data for the hornady bullets with my sierras, or would I need a manual that has data for that particular Sierra bullet? Thanks
If you plan to use Sierras - Then yes get their manual:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/0500/Sierra-5th-Edition-Rifle-and-Handgun-Reloading-Manual

Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 479 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Pick one source and work with it. Stop confusing yourself. Load data is a lot like opinions...everyone has one. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Also, Axx brings up a good point on reloading books. Do you have a hard copy of the lyman reloading book - If so what number edition is it?
Get a new Lyman manual. Next year get a Hodgdon manual. Year after next, get a Hornady manual.
And most important, READ THEM!

Winston Churchill