Please help.Lee .7 dipper? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Please help.Lee .7 dipper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Dippers must still be checked and confirmed. Just because it says .7cc's does not mean it actually is. Powders vary from lot to lot. Each lot should be tested.
I have a full set of the LEE dippers and love them. Use them to dump a load of powder into the scale pan close to my desired charge weight, and then let my auto-dispenser finish it off. Saves time by not waiting for the dispenser to trickle the whole charge when I'm working up loads.

The beam scales are best for weighing out powder charges (IMO) but you can't beat the digital units when it comes to weighing out bullets or cases for segregating into batches/lots.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a RCBS powder dispenser for my handgun loads and an RCBS 5 0 5 beam scales for everything I need to weigh. This scale sells for around $60.00 and is actually made by Ohaus. I prefer this to my digital all day long.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #13

Proof that it's always good to double and triple check when hand loading. I measured the Lee .5 dipper of Bullseye accidently, it's 4.7 grs. . The .7 dipper of Bullseye is 6.6grs. I would've had some underpowered rounds at the least.

God and guns make this country strong.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #14

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Do not trust the dippers. They weigh differently with every powder. Select a load that you are going to use then try the dippers. Take 10 dips in a scale tray and then weigh it and get an average to see what they are throwing with THAT powder. Also. To get consistent loads from the dipper, Pour excess powder in a bowl then dip through the powder and then use a straight edge to cut off the top of the dipper so you get a level dipper each time. I use the straight edge on my powder funnel.

What I'm getting at, is, that for the load that you want, it may not be the AVERAGE dipper on the Lee chart. Sometimes I use a different dipper to get the load I WANT. Also, to get the in betweens, I sometimes use two of a smaller dipper. You sometimes have to use some common sense and experiment. I have an expedient kit with hand press, dies, dippers all necessary items in a clear plastic dog food bucket that goes in my truck when I go out for a while. You can make them work.