please explain - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > please explain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

Casings are used to make sausage. Cases or brass are used to make cartridges. A puzzle? Wow! When it comes to things that go BOOM, don't eqaute it to a puzzle. Please.
I hear everyone up here calling brass "casings" or "cases", just depends on who you ask I suppose.

I know it's not like a puzzle, it just seemed like it was the easiest way to put it. Especially since not everyone is a fan of puzzles and they actually (for the most part) take brain power to put together.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Reloading is as stated above but you might be wondering WHY do it.
For me, its a financial thing, or was. I havent reloaded stuff in 4 months now. (not much free time)
45s are expensive, but with bulk bullets, powder, recycled brass cases, and bulk primers and my free time I can have them fairly cheap and just as good quality, just little dirtier perhaps.
Other reasons might be accuracy from tailoring the round to your parcticular gun's likes, for the fun of it, etc.

Reloading is best described as cooking as stated in one of the reloading books I started with. I agree with it since its pretty much like making a cake a fairly small and dangerous cake I guess..

Its pretty much like a recipe, so many grains of powder to acheive a certain effect when matched with certain measurements of the cartridge you're essientially remanufacturing at home.

NEVER reload without the proper tools or literature, it can get you or someone else killed if dont improperly.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #13

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Reloading is not simple. But simply put, it is taking a fired round, knocking out the primer, puting in a new one, puting in powder and a new bullet. It can be very complex depending on what you plan to reload. It is not something to be taken lightly. The amount of powder used in a case is very small. If you filled up the case even half full, it would blow up your gun and take a few fingers. If you are really interested go buy a book. You will invest $25 or $30. Then if you decide to do it you have a little knowledge. If not maybe you saved a couple if fingers or a whole hand.
The powder charge is one of those variables in the process I mentioned earlier. Maybe I missed something but I am a bit confused about what you were saying in reference to putting powder in a case. I reload for .44 mag and prefer the slower powders. I use four different powders that fill the case more than half full. H-110, 296, Litl' Gun and VN-110 all do this. These loads tested out in the 1300 - 1350 fps range. There are some powders that will not come close to filling up even half of the case in their recommended charges, but I don't use them. Another variable is the design of the cartridge case, which would also have an influence on the amount of powder used.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 01-21-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #14

I think the readers will know that we are talking about whether we say "casing" or "case" in reference to the container for the powder. I do not think anyone is going to get ammunition reloading confused with sausage making. Of course I am trying to be funny but actually I have seen and heard both terms used by people who claimed expertise in this area. I recently saw the term "casing" used on the Military Channel when discussing rifle ammunition. I use "case" but if someone says "casing" I will know what they are talking about.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #15

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I think the readers will know that we are talking about whether we say "casing" or "case" in reference to the container for the powder. I do not think anyone is going to get ammunition reloading confused with sausage making. Of course I am trying to be funny but actually I have seen and heard both terms used by people who claimed expertise in this area. I recently saw the term "casing" used on the Military Channel when discussing rifle ammunition. I use "case" but if someone says "casing" I will know what they are talking about.
Well I guess I'm going to do a puzzle now. Fill my casings w/ powder, cause you need them close to 1/2 full or your gun will go boom, big BOOM. Sorry, I despise incorrect terminology when giving advice on something that can maim if not done correctly. No one ever claimed that the Military channel had experts. Many fubars there.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Well I guess I'm going to do a puzzle now. Fill my casings w/ powder, cause you need them close to 1/2 full or your gun will go boom, big BOOM. Sorry, I despise incorrect terminology when giving advice on something that can maim if not done correctly. No one ever claimed that the Military channel had experts. Many fubars there.
Agreed. I also try to use correct terminology. I guess I was just trying to be funny after reading some of the posts.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #17

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

I know the term "puzzle" wasn't the best to use, but since you actually have to THINK while ding them, I figured it would be an easier way then using some other term that for all I know could of confused him even more.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #18

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I know the term "puzzle" wasn't the best to use, but since you actually have to THINK while ding them, I figured it would be an easier way then using some other term that for all I know could of confused him even more.
Thats fine. I would suggest that before anyone starts hand loading cartridges that they either take a class and buy the ABC's of reloading. The recipes in it are quite low for many calibers, but it is good for basics. Lee's Modern reloading is also a VG place to start, it also has many underpowered loads.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2730 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

What rock were you hiding under? What is reloading? Loading a cartridge again or loading a firearm again?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2730 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

We all need to remember that some of the terminology is regional and not neccessarily incorrect. Case, casing, brass, hull, etc. I think we all know what it meant. Bullet, projectile, head, pill, lead, etc. I think you know what is meant. Please stop getting so wrapped around the axle of such silly sh!t. You senior members and your pointing out how a newbie is not a smart as you is really annoying. Of course they are not as smart as you, they are newbies. Can we politely suggest more appropriate words rather than essentially call someone stupid?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball