Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > please explain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default please explain

Someone please tell me what reloading is. I've been going through treads trying to find out but no luck. I'm guessing its making your own ammo. But how would you do that?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #2

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The easiest way to find this out would be to check YouTube.

But basicaly, you buy the bullets, powder, primers and casings and you put all the pieces together....it's a little like a puzzle almost.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Too much to type.

Read this How To Reload

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #4

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
Too much to type.

Read this How To Reload
Pssssh.....not even a single picture?
Guys gonna die of boredom.

Haha

Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As pointed out above, you need to do some research to get an appreciable understanding of what reloading is. Basically it involves taking the different components of a cartridge and putting them together to make ammunition. The components include the cartridge case (brass), propellent (powder), ignitor (primer) and projectile (bullet). This is a science, and by this I mean if you do certain things you will get certain results. There are many variables involved in this process that will have an influence on the results.

If you are interested in getting involved in reloading you need to start from the beginning and learn about the process. There are many books and other literature to read and lots of great videos available on Youtube and other sites.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #6

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Another good way to learn about reloading is to find an experienced reloader and ask him to show you how it's done. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a willing teacher as most guys who reload are proud of their accomplishments and are willing to demonstrate their skills to a novice. Hang around a few gun shops in your area and ask about reloading and it won't be long before you find a willing tutor.
cottontop

Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #7

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
The easiest way to find this out would be to check YouTube.

But basicaly, you buy the bullets, powder, primers and casings and you put all the pieces together....it's a little like a puzzle almost.
Casings are used to make sausage. Cases or brass are used to make cartridges. A puzzle? Wow! When it comes to things that go BOOM, don't eqaute it to a puzzle. Please.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Another good way to learn about reloading is to find an experienced reloader and ask him to show you how it's done. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a willing teacher as most guys who reload are proud of their accomplishments and are willing to demonstrate their skills to a novice. Hang around a few gun shops in your area and ask about reloading and it won't be long before you find a willing tutor.
cottontop
This is how I learned to reload. I watched an experienced reloader do this before I tried it while he watched me. I also read a lot about reloading.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Casings are used to make sausage. Cases or brass are used to make cartridges. A puzzle? Wow! When it comes to things that go BOOM, don't eqaute it to a puzzle. Please.
casings plural of cas·ing (Noun)
Noun:
1. A cover or shell that protects or encloses something: "a waterproof casing".

cases 3rd person singular present, plural of case
Noun:
2. A container designed to hold or protect something.

I believe casing would be the best choice based on the definitions.

Also considering the amount of reloading suppliers that call them casings I would say that your attempt at being a smart ass was an epic fail.

Oh by the way its equate, not eqaute.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #10

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Reloading is not simple. But simply put, it is taking a fired round, knocking out the primer, puting in a new one, puting in powder and a new bullet. It can be very complex depending on what you plan to reload. It is not something to be taken lightly. The amount of powder used in a case is very small. If you filled up the case even half full, it would blow up your gun and take a few fingers. If you are really interested go buy a book. You will invest $25 or $30. Then if you decide to do it you have a little knowledge. If not maybe you saved a couple if fingers or a whole hand.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.