Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   please explain (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/please-explain-55899/)

pontiac163 01-20-2012 09:08 AM

please explain
 
Someone please tell me what reloading is. I've been going through treads trying to find out but no luck. I'm guessing its making your own ammo. But how would you do that?

kaido 01-20-2012 09:18 AM

The easiest way to find this out would be to check YouTube.

But basicaly, you buy the bullets, powder, primers and casings and you put all the pieces together....it's a little like a puzzle almost.

willfully armed 01-20-2012 09:19 AM

Too much to type.

Read this How To Reload

kaido 01-20-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed
Too much to type.

Read this How To Reload

Pssssh.....not even a single picture?
Guys gonna die of boredom.

Haha

BlueTurf 01-20-2012 01:10 PM

As pointed out above, you need to do some research to get an appreciable understanding of what reloading is. Basically it involves taking the different components of a cartridge and putting them together to make ammunition. The components include the cartridge case (brass), propellent (powder), ignitor (primer) and projectile (bullet). This is a science, and by this I mean if you do certain things you will get certain results. There are many variables involved in this process that will have an influence on the results.

If you are interested in getting involved in reloading you need to start from the beginning and learn about the process. There are many books and other literature to read and lots of great videos available on Youtube and other sites.

cottontop 01-20-2012 09:18 PM

Another good way to learn about reloading is to find an experienced reloader and ask him to show you how it's done. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a willing teacher as most guys who reload are proud of their accomplishments and are willing to demonstrate their skills to a novice. Hang around a few gun shops in your area and ask about reloading and it won't be long before you find a willing tutor.
cottontop

jpattersonnh 01-20-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 682959)
The easiest way to find this out would be to check YouTube.

But basicaly, you buy the bullets, powder, primers and casings and you put all the pieces together....it's a little like a puzzle almost.

Casings are used to make sausage. Cases or brass are used to make cartridges. A puzzle? Wow! When it comes to things that go BOOM, don't eqaute it to a puzzle. Please.

BlueTurf 01-21-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 683391)
Another good way to learn about reloading is to find an experienced reloader and ask him to show you how it's done. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a willing teacher as most guys who reload are proud of their accomplishments and are willing to demonstrate their skills to a novice. Hang around a few gun shops in your area and ask about reloading and it won't be long before you find a willing tutor.
cottontop

This is how I learned to reload. I watched an experienced reloader do this before I tried it while he watched me. I also read a lot about reloading.

Jared 01-21-2012 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 683484)
Casings are used to make sausage. Cases or brass are used to make cartridges. A puzzle? Wow! When it comes to things that go BOOM, don't eqaute it to a puzzle. Please.

casings plural of cas·ing (Noun)
Noun:
1. A cover or shell that protects or encloses something: "a waterproof casing".

cases 3rd person singular present, plural of case
Noun:
2. A container designed to hold or protect something.




I believe casing would be the best choice based on the definitions.

Also considering the amount of reloading suppliers that call them casings I would say that your attempt at being a smart ass was an epic fail.


Oh by the way its equate, not eqaute.

Rick1967 01-21-2012 04:05 AM

Reloading is not simple. But simply put, it is taking a fired round, knocking out the primer, puting in a new one, puting in powder and a new bullet. It can be very complex depending on what you plan to reload. It is not something to be taken lightly. The amount of powder used in a case is very small. If you filled up the case even half full, it would blow up your gun and take a few fingers. If you are really interested go buy a book. You will invest $25 or $30. Then if you decide to do it you have a little knowledge. If not maybe you saved a couple if fingers or a whole hand.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.