Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   plating lead cast bullets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/plating-lead-cast-bullets-76851/)

alard17 11-21-2012 10:58 PM

plating lead cast bullets

Hi all; I've been searching the internet to find how the bullets copper jackit is made because I couldn't imagine away for doing this and I found some videos on the youtube that explains the use of electricity and some copper sulphate solution to cover the bullets with copper .
my questions are:
Is this method used by the large factories in the commercial production process and if not what it is:(
if this method is a good relible one : is there a book or an article that explain it in detail :D

Overkill0084 11-21-2012 11:05 PM

Why?

c3shooter 11-21-2012 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No, it is not the method used to make rifle bullets.

Those are not plated- they are jacketed. A seperate metal cylinder, usually of some copper/ nickel alloy, known as gilding metal has lead that is either melted and poured in, or the lead swaged (squeezed by force) into the jacket.

A lot harder and a lot thicker than plating. Plating is usually less than the thickness of a sheet of paper. On the other hand, THIS is what a jacketed bullet looks like-
Attachment 70879

Rather difficult to make on your kitchen table.

KG7IL 11-21-2012 11:49 PM

Plating is very common on affordable bullets purchased as reloading componets.
What little research I have done appears to confirm electroplating as the popular process.
Rainer Bullets http://www.rainierballistics.com/index.php
Barry's Bullets, and others are available.

Not sure (without some thought and research) how I would do it at home.

c3shooter 11-22-2012 02:03 AM

KG- the OP is looking to reload 7.62 x 39. With the exception of M1 Carbine, all of the bullets from Ranier are pistol bullets- not in that caliber.

KG7IL 11-22-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1023084)
KG- the OP is looking to reload 7.62 x 39. With the exception of M1 Carbine, all of the bullets from Ranier are pistol bullets- not in that caliber.

You are the mind reader, I am not. I sure didn't see that in OP's post.

What I saw was two questions:
  • Is this method used by the large factories in the commercial production process and if not what it is
  • if this method is a good relible one : is there a book or an article that explain it in detail

Those sites mentioned have some info on the plating process.
Those are the questions that I addressed.

Are you on the right thread?

c3shooter 11-22-2012 03:17 AM

KG- apologies- info bleed across threads. OP has several posts on reloading in Turkey for AKs, seeking local components, looking to use cast bullets in AKs.

KG7IL 11-22-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1023152)
KG- apologies- info bleed across threads. OP has several posts on reloading in Turkey for AKs, seeking local components, looking to use cast bullets in AKs.

No need for appologies, You see more threads than I do.
Although I saw the 'ship to Turkey' and such, I didn't put any of that together.

From what I have read, the plated bullets still like reduced velocities, and plating rifle bullets might not be a great idea.

I'm not sure the cost of setting up for home plating would be worth it.
But still, great question and food for thought.

I have even thought about some additional research on using spent .22 rimfire shells for jackets. but will probably never do it.

nitestalker 11-22-2012 04:14 AM

There are many ways of patching bullets. The .22 RF case has been used for 70 years to swage jackets. Some shooters use copper tubeing. A very easy one is putting .41 Cal cast bullets in a .40 S&W case and crimped. The .40 S&W is .429 and can be loaded in a .44 Mag. However like most of these tricks the accuracy is terrible. Bullets cast from Linotype and gas checked can usualy run up to 2,000 FPS. If you need more speed buy jacketed bullets.