You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Plated SWC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 269 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Plated SWC?

I recently got a titanium cylinder .38 which I hear is a no-go for lead bullets due to lead removal and solvents ruining the titanium and need some info on plated lead bullets. I am looking to just switch from my go to 158gr LSWC to an identical plated SWC but there is no data on such loads.

right now the powder I have that would be usable on such a load is TiteGroup and Win 231. Would you think it would be safe to just load the max charge as if it was a Lead SWC and just use the plated?

Titegroup for instance lists the max charge on a standard 158gr .38spl LSWC at 3.8gr, then lists the 158gr XTP starting charge at 3.9gr. I know an XTP and SWC are totally different but in my mind either the max for a lead load or the min for a jacketed load would fit the bill for a plated 158gr SWC. What is your guys' opinions on this?

Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

I never heard that before. Why would copper and lead solvent be any less than a lead only solvent? Who makes a lead only solvent? The plated bullets are all lead as well.
Titanium has been around since 1791. It is used in aircraft engines and oil field heat exchanger tubing to name a few uses. These uses require very high heat and low corrosion levels. Another Urban Legend has risen?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
I never heard that before. Why would copper and lead solvent be any less than a lead only solvent? Who makes a lead only solvent? The plated bullets are all lead as well.
Titanium has been around since 1791. It is used in aircraft engines and oil field heat exchanger tubing to name a few uses. These uses require very high heat and low corrosion levels. Another Urban Legend has risen?
All I know is that the no lead bullets issue came from what's stamped on the barrel and the research I put into it that told me why lead bullets are no good in this gun.
File Type: jpg DSCF3894.jpg (31.5 KB, 21 views)
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11208 Times on 5941 Posts
Likes Given: 10888

Use lead bullet data for plated bullets.
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost

Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

Humm? You must be new to handguns? That is a maximum caliber designation on your fire arm. If you push a lead bullet above 1,500 fps which you can not in that gun it may lead. What would you do with a S&W Mdl. 27 marked .357 Magnum? Never ever fire a .38 Special in it?
Lead bullets of a 5 to 7 BHN are usually loaded to around 1,000 fps. Lead bullets of a 12 BHN Linotype and gas checked can run at 2,000 fps. The coated lead bullets are restricted to 1,200 fps. No gas checks and low BHN.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
Humm? You must be new to handguns? That is a maximum caliber designation on your fire arm. If you push a lead bullet above 1,500 fps which you can not in that gun it may lead. What would you do with a S&W Mdl. 27 marked .357 Magnum? Never ever fire a .38 Special in it?
Lead bullets of a 5 to 7 BHN are usually loaded to around 1,000 fps. Lead bullets of a 12 BHN Linotype and gas checked can run at 2,000 fps. The coated lead bullets are restricted to 1,200 fps. No gas checks and low BHN.
New to handguns? Please.

You must be the one new to handguns to think that leading cannot occur in rounds under 1,500fps, I have leaded the crap out my revolvers before with even your average 10 BHN in medium 38spl loads. I was showing my barrel stamp because it says "jacketed", there is a reason for that stamping and my searches time and time again give the reason why which I already explained.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5932 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 3070

The way I read it, jacketed refers to +P. They may be saying it to ward off the possible complaints about excessive leading, and possibly the structure damage and injuries from overpressure. Knowing that "some" people will load +P to dangerous levels.

BTW forcing gone leading is a hillary to clean up. I don't know if the Lewis device and such are ok for Ti.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The way I read it, jacketed refers to +P. They may be saying it to ward off the possible complaints about excessive leading, and possibly the structure damage and injuries from overpressure. Knowing that "some" people will load +P to dangerous levels.

BTW forcing gone leading is a hillary to clean up. I don't know if the Lewis device and such are ok for Ti.
I have done a little more research and the consensus is split 50/50 on why S&W did no want lead rounds through this gun. Half of the people believe that it is due to leading and lead removal could damage the coating on the titanium.

The other half believe that it's not due to titanium at all, it's due to the light weight of the gun and with lead being more "slippery" than copper, there's more chance of bullets jumping the crimp with lead +P loads.

But who knows, I figured since the copper plated 158gr SWC's are about the same price as the identical bullet in hard cast lead, why not just get plated. I feel like loading them the same as lead would be fine, I just worry about the extra friction so I will load them to the max listed charge on a STANDARD pressure lead recipe. I should be ok right?
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5932 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 3070

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I have done a little more research and the consensus is split 50/50 on why S&W did no want lead rounds through this gun. Half of the people believe that it is due to leading and lead removal could damage the coating on the titanium.

The other half believe that it's not due to titanium at all, it's due to the light weight of the gun and with lead being more "slippery" than copper, there's more chance of bullets jumping the crimp with lead +P loads.

But who knows, I figured since the copper plated 158gr SWC's are about the same price as the identical bullet in hard cast lead, why not just get plated. I feel like loading them the same as lead would be fine, I just worry about the extra friction so I will load them to the max listed charge on a STANDARD pressure lead recipe. I should be ok right?
Right. I've never heard of a warning against all lead bullets as such on a titanium revolver. It just wouldn't make sense. Besides, the barrel is steel, isn't it.

Commercial FMJs are so close in price to the LRNs, I don't bother with lead anymore. Friction is not an issue except with the 22s (And even then it's about reliability and match accuracy, not safety)

That said the gun manual has the last word. Thankfully not everything there is to know (yet) is etched on the gun

Last edited by Mercator; 05-21-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #10

Liked 369 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 42

captmidnight You do have an option to run hi-tek coated bullets . No lube /lead in the fingers and the coatings easy on all bores and cylinders . You could never get enough velocity out of a 357 snubby to worry about them . Prices tend to be as good as old school lead unless you making your own .

It does look to be a 357mag lite bullet issue . Beside high velocity 38sp +P out of a snubby is an oxymoron anyhow !! The loads your looking to use are what I have used and they are mild by any standard using 158gr .

I would worry more about cleaning than shooting in a titanium cylinder .