Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Plated bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Plated bullets?

I have a bunch of 9mm brass, powder and primers and want to make up some loads for just plinking on the range and maybe some to run through my subgun. It looks like plated bullets can be had for $100/1000 or so. Does anyone have any experence with one brand or another and would you use them again?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Berries bullets are whats available around here, and seem to work fine. I dont shoot at paper very often so I couldnt tell u the groups though

Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #3

Liked 1662 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 1126

I have used Berry's Plated bullets will good results. I have shot a lot of them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Rainier Bullets are OK. I've used them in .357 & 9 mm with good results. I used to grab them from Midway when they had a decent sale on them.
I've use HSM plated in .40 & .45 with satisfactory results. HSM (Hunter's Supply, if I'm not mistaken) are available off the shelf here locally. They weren't really much cheaper than jacketed in a store.
I still use plated on occasion, mostly because I have some on hand. I haven't been inclined to buy any plated lately.
IMHO, they're neither fish nor fowl. They perform similar to cast bullets (lighter charges), but with a cost near that of cheap jacketed.
Have a look at Precision Delta before you order the plated bullets. For similar money they sell proper jacketed bullets. When I get around to it, I will be ordering some 9mms from them. Their biggest issue used to be finding what you needed in stock. They appear to have progress in that area.
http://precisiondelta.com/index.php/products/bullet/9mm.html/
FWIW, I happily use mostly cast in all my handguns (.380, 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .45.)
Check with Missouri Bullets if cast interests you:
http://www.missouribullet.com/
They were swamped for a while but last I heard, they had grown enough to keep up with the "big panic" pace of sales. They used to have crazy fast delivery. However, I think with the recent growth, it's down to saner, but still satisfactory levels.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-19-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1640 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1242

I use Rainier for my 45's. For plinking they work great...

Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Midway had some decent deals on .355 FMJ bullets. They had smaller packages but you had to buy 3,000 to get a very attractive price. They had a good deal on Hornady non expanding HP bullets.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rocky mountin reloading has some great deals on plated

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 1080 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 1097

Midway has em in stock right know for 1.4 cents a piece..............

When all else fails.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I've used Rainier plated bullets in my 1911 (45 acp) with good results. Just make sure to load them with cast bullet data. NOT jacketed.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Have a look at Precision Delta before you order the plated bullets. For similar money they sell proper jacketed bullets. When I get around to it, I will be ordering some 9mms from them. Their biggest issue used to be finding what you needed in stock. They appear to have progress in that area.
http://precisiondelta.com/index.php/products/bullet/9mm.html/
FWIW, I happily use mostly cast in all my handguns (.380, 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .45.)
Check with Missouri Bullets if cast interests you:
http://www.missouribullet.com/
They were swamped for a while but last I heard, they had grown enough to keep up with the "big panic" pace of sales. They used to have crazy fast delivery. However, I think with the recent growth, it's down to saner, but still satisfactory levels.
Thanks to everyone that responded. It doesn't sound like there is much advantage of using plated over cast other than maybe less leading if loaded on the warm side. I do shoot cast in some of my handguns and cast my own a lot of the time. I usually use Lyman #2 alloy which is 1 lb. of 50/50 bar solder and 9 lbs. of clip on wheel weights. Actually I need to get my metal detector out and go find some of my wheel weights. I had a old wheelbarrow full of weights and they covered them up with dirt by accident when they was building my house. I know about where they are and they couldn't be more than a foot or two down. I have another pile thats just under some pine straw so they are easy to get to. They should last me as long as I will need lead. I used to buy casted bullets from a company called Valiant Bullets out of Bynum, AL but don't know if they are still in business. I included a picture of some 250 gr .44 mag. gas checked, 250 gr 45 colt and 400 gr 45-70 hammers that I casted. Speaking of gas checks, I have loaded some shot cartridges for my 44 by figuring out what the pay load would weigh and picking a suitable powder and dropping a gas check cup up over the powder, dropping in the shot and then another gas check cup down and a slight roll crip to keep everything in place. The Precision Delta site looks interesting. 4K 9mm jacketed bullets for $372 delivered. I may have to give those a try. Thanks again everyone. Happy shooting.
20140320_084243.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

texaswoodworker Likes This