Pistol grouping - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Pistol grouping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1119 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl View Post
Another question
I was loading bullets without a cannelure, would you guys still run it through crimp?
45 ACP bullet should not have a cannelure, but they should still be crimped.

As aa stated, a light taper crimp is used to remove the flare plus maybe a thou more. You do not crimp the case mouth into the bullet, you just remove the flare.

You fired 8 rounds. Did you fire 4 consecutive rounds into one of your "tight clusters" , then fire another 4 consecutive rounds into the other "tight cluster"? Or did you fire 8 rounds at the target and had two separate "clusters" from random shots?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric

45 ACP bullet should not have a cannelure, but they should still be crimped.

As aa stated, a light taper crimp is used to remove the flare plus maybe a thou more. You do not crimp the case mouth into the bullet, you just remove the flare.

You fired 8 rounds. Did you fire 4 consecutive rounds into one of your "tight clusters" , then fire another 4 consecutive rounds into the other "tight cluster"? Or did you fire 8 rounds at the target and had two separate "clusters" from random shots?
8 rounds 2 random clusters

Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 349 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I like to fire a mag worth at each target. 8 rounds is not enough. When you've shot around 100 and are still getting inconsistant results then start playing with you're powder. What are you running you're OAL at? I like to seat mine so that they just fit in the mag with maybe .01-.02" to spare. I find that they run more consistantly.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #14

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl View Post
I loaded my first batch of .45 acp the other day, when I went to test shoot them I shot from a rest at 50 feet, there were 2 very tight 4 shot clusters about 6 inches apart. Do you guys think that my handloads need a little tweaking or do you think it's the handgun?
If the groups are one above the other, its probably one of two things, breaking your wrist up if one group is substantially higher than the aiming point (assuming a proper sighting in). If one group is substantially lower than the aiming point, you could be breaking your wrist down, drooping your head down, or pushing the whole gun forward as you squeeze the trigger.

At a 25 yd target, 1/10" inch error in sight picture will result in a 2 to 3 inch error at the target with a handgun having a 6" sight radius. Thus if you are not aligning the sights exactly the same way every time, along with all the other fundimentals, the result can be as you discribe.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
i like to fire a mag worth at each target. 8 rounds is not enough. When you've shot around 100 and are still getting inconsistant results then start playing with you're powder. What are you running you're oal at? I like to seat mine so that they just fit in the mag with maybe .01-.02" to spare. I find that they run more consistantly.
oal 1.260"

Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 349 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 64

That's what I run my 230gr RN at. They just barely fit in the mag and run up the feed ramp nicely.