Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Pistol case trimming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As has already been posted, cases "generally" do not need to be trimmed very often BUT it's always a good idea to check all the same. Generally there is a lot of leeway in over all case length that precludes the need for trimming but as Jon points out, sometimes it can cause issues going to battery if the case is too long.

Having a collectors ffl, allows that I get my reloading material at almost wholesale prices so I save a moderate amount of money rolling my own. Most times it is less than $10/box on pistol ammo plus I have the satisfaction of knowing that all my rounds are the same (consistant in quality)

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 02-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What we need is a clear question.
If your bullet does not simply drop into the case (i.e., if the inside diameter of a .45ACP is less then the 0.451" diameter of the bullet) and if your slide has enough force to jam the case in the chamber, then you may not need to resize.
However, in most cases, if the case mouth is NOT larger than bullet diameter, then you are shooting a very low pressure load or the outside case diameter is too large or the chamber inside diameter is too small (you may have ammunition that is too tight in the chamber to allow the case mouth to open enough to release the bullet without chamber pressures going up to a dangerous level).
Of course, my own feeling is that if 99.999999999% of reloaders always resize their cases, there might just be a reason for doing it.
This falls apart, however, with cast bullets. Almost all bullet caster size their cast bullets. I haven't done that since the mid '80s and have not seen any reason to go back to that time-consuming and, often, accuracy-destroying activity.
Somewhere in the rant, I hope I addresses whatever the real question was.
PS: You only trim RIMMED straightwall cases , that head-space on the case rim, so there is a consistent case length for roll crimping. Semi-autos use a taper crimp and the cases never need trimming and they are, in fact, too short to begin with and shrink with use...

Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The OP's questions was on trimming case's not about resizing which is something you must always do and is automaticly done when you run them through the reloading die...

Case trimming applies to all cases, btw, not just straight walled cases... As a general rule, I always check case length during part of my process of reloading. It's just become part of my routine. Having all of your cases the same length, IMO, attributes to consistant performance.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"