Pistol case trimming
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Pistol case trimming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Pistol case trimming

I was curious if I would need to resize pistol casing, assuming I don't load to the max?

Bottom line is, i'm trying to figure out how long I would need to reload to pay for the equipment start up cost..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to assume you are asking 3 different questions in your post.

1 - Title "Pistol case Trimming" - You should never need to trim a pistol case. It will split before it gets to long.
2 - "Resize Pistol Cases" - No matter what load you use, the pistol case will always expand to fill the chamber of your weapon. So after every firing you need to resize the case.
3 - "How long does it take to get my money back ?" - Well it depends on how much you shoot, but for example If you are talking about 9mm and I assume you already have once fired brass.
The average cost for primers, powder and projectile is around $.10 to $.12 per round. I you buy a Dillon SDB press (now there are cheaper press, but I don't have the prices at hand) it
Costs $380 complete for one caliber ie: 9mm. So for a 1,000 rounds your reloading cost is $110 + $380 = $490 or $.49 per round. Now you can buy S&B for around $.21 per round.
For 5,000 rounds, your reloading cost is $550 + $380 = $930 or $.19 per round. You see where I'm going. Now there are other costs. You need to clean your brass which requires
a case cleaner, you media to use in the case cleaner, you need tub's/boxes or what ever to store the brass. But basically in less than 5,000 rounds, you got your money back. But
Mileage may vary.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yes! You disifered my encoded question lol..I didnt realize how confusing my question/statement was. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #4

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

if you really want to save money go with the lee loader, takes more time to make as many rounds, but make your money back within the first thousand rounds [depends on how much you shoot too, great for occasional shooting, also great for noobs, like me]

Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've never needed to with my .45 ACP.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #6

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
I've never needed to with my .45 ACP.
Same here. I have never needed to trim my .45 acp cases. I have shot them as many as 8 times and they did not stretch. I guess because of their short stubby design this is not an issue.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

most pistol cases are straight walled, so using most published load data, they don't tend to stretch like bottlenecked cases. my 44 spc. and 44 mag. cases have never been trimmed, but i do check them to be sure.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I believe another factor is the type of crimp used. A roll crimp that digs into to bullet at all will have more purchase on the case and cause more stretch. A factory style taper crimp is more easily slipped as the bullet makes it's departure and imparts less influence on the case.

I simply spot check about 5% of my cases after cleaning, and about that many loaded cartridges as I box them up, for dimensions and weight.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
I believe another factor is the type of crimp used. A roll crimp that digs into to bullet at all will have more purchase on the case and cause more stretch. A factory style taper crimp is more easily slipped as the bullet makes it's departure and imparts less influence on the case.

I simply spot check about 5% of my cases after cleaning, and about that many loaded cartridges as I box them up, for dimensions and weight.
the Lee dies i use for reloading pistol cartridges use the factory crimp die. the 44 Mag. i reload for gets a crimp because it's a magnum and i just don't want any shifting in the bullets, and my 45acp gets crimped to insure reliable feeding from the magazine.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Sometimes they do but its not common. Every load cycle of the current thousand or so cases i use for 45acp 1 or 2 need a trim as they wont go into battery. Since its range ammo i dont care its good stoppage training. I just segregate those 1 or 2 rounds pull em trim the cases at the next loading session and toss em back in the mix.

Ive got cases ive been using for 20 years. Sometimes a few show splits and get tossed.

Cost reduction doesnt really play a factor it just lets me shoot more for the same money i was going to spend anyway.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-24-2012 at 03:31 PM.