Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Pistol case trimming (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/pistol-case-trimming-57217/)

SmokyMtnHiker 02-07-2012 06:53 PM

Pistol case trimming

I was curious if I would need to resize pistol casing, assuming I don't load to the max?

Bottom line is, i'm trying to figure out how long I would need to reload to pay for the equipment start up cost..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

anm2_man 02-07-2012 08:25 PM

I have to assume you are asking 3 different questions in your post.

1 - Title "Pistol case Trimming" - You should never need to trim a pistol case. It will split before it gets to long.
2 - "Resize Pistol Cases" - No matter what load you use, the pistol case will always expand to fill the chamber of your weapon. So after every firing you need to resize the case.
3 - "How long does it take to get my money back ?" - Well it depends on how much you shoot, but for example If you are talking about 9mm and I assume you already have once fired brass.
The average cost for primers, powder and projectile is around $.10 to $.12 per round. I you buy a Dillon SDB press (now there are cheaper press, but I don't have the prices at hand) it
Costs $380 complete for one caliber ie: 9mm. So for a 1,000 rounds your reloading cost is $110 + $380 = $490 or $.49 per round. Now you can buy S&B for around $.21 per round.
For 5,000 rounds, your reloading cost is $550 + $380 = $930 or $.19 per round. You see where I'm going. Now there are other costs. You need to clean your brass which requires
a case cleaner, you media to use in the case cleaner, you need tub's/boxes or what ever to store the brass. But basically in less than 5,000 rounds, you got your money back. But
Mileage may vary.

SmokyMtnHiker 02-07-2012 09:04 PM

Yes! You disifered my encoded question lol..I didnt realize how confusing my question/statement was. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

phildenton 02-20-2012 01:33 AM

if you really want to save money go with the lee loader, takes more time to make as many rounds, but make your money back within the first thousand rounds [depends on how much you shoot too, great for occasional shooting, also great for noobs, like me]

scottybaccus 02-20-2012 01:49 AM

I've never needed to with my .45 ACP.

BlueTurf 02-23-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottybaccus (Post 714438)
I've never needed to with my .45 ACP.

Same here. I have never needed to trim my .45 acp cases. I have shot them as many as 8 times and they did not stretch. I guess because of their short stubby design this is not an issue.

Axxe55 02-23-2012 03:49 PM

most pistol cases are straight walled, so using most published load data, they don't tend to stretch like bottlenecked cases. my 44 spc. and 44 mag. cases have never been trimmed, but i do check them to be sure.

scottybaccus 02-23-2012 04:19 PM

I believe another factor is the type of crimp used. A roll crimp that digs into to bullet at all will have more purchase on the case and cause more stretch. A factory style taper crimp is more easily slipped as the bullet makes it's departure and imparts less influence on the case.

I simply spot check about 5% of my cases after cleaning, and about that many loaded cartridges as I box them up, for dimensions and weight.

Axxe55 02-23-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottybaccus (Post 717957)
I believe another factor is the type of crimp used. A roll crimp that digs into to bullet at all will have more purchase on the case and cause more stretch. A factory style taper crimp is more easily slipped as the bullet makes it's departure and imparts less influence on the case.

I simply spot check about 5% of my cases after cleaning, and about that many loaded cartridges as I box them up, for dimensions and weight.

the Lee dies i use for reloading pistol cartridges use the factory crimp die. the 44 Mag. i reload for gets a crimp because it's a magnum and i just don't want any shifting in the bullets, and my 45acp gets crimped to insure reliable feeding from the magazine.

JonM 02-23-2012 04:46 PM

Sometimes they do but its not common. Every load cycle of the current thousand or so cases i use for 45acp 1 or 2 need a trim as they wont go into battery. Since its range ammo i dont care its good stoppage training. I just segregate those 1 or 2 rounds pull em trim the cases at the next loading session and toss em back in the mix.

Ive got cases ive been using for 20 years. Sometimes a few show splits and get tossed.

Cost reduction doesnt really play a factor it just lets me shoot more for the same money i was going to spend anyway.