Picking a reloader - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Picking a reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Personal tastes aside, all presses will make fine ammo and last a LONG time with just a minimum of care; you really can't go wrong with any of them. What volume of ammo you need, and the level of precision you may seek, is a larger question.

Single stage presses are quite simple devices and the best to learn on. They are the easiest to load preciesly with and to change loads with. They are slow but loading speed is NOT a friend to precision loading.

Conventional turrets (Lyman/Redding) really add no significant speed to a loading session, especially if you load for more than a couple of calibers. All the heads can do is store a few dies. However, Lee's turret presses have an "auto-indexing" head that does speed reloading and they can be used as single stages as well. Lee's turret heads are inexpensive enough to have them set up for each caliber, swapping them can be done in seconds without tools. Many people love their Lee Classic Turret (iron/steel body), it's massively strong and fast too.

Progressives are great for cranking out the same load by the hundreds or thousands. Not so good for changing calibers, nor so easy to vary charges in the pursuit of accuracy either. But, they ARE fast!

Perhaps the best route for a new guy is to get a strong but low cost single stage and learn to load well first. Later, if he wants more speed he will still have uses for a single stage and will also have the experience to make a better choice of any new press he may be interested in.

IF I were doing the buying for a friend he would get either a Lee Classic Cast single stage or the Classic Turret, depending on if his major interest is rifle or pistol.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 05-29-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #12

My first press...a Dillon 650. I wanted a progressive. A safe (self-indexing) progressive. I've had mine for years. I learned to reload by reading and using this press. It's more to invest in initially, but the darn things are so well made and fast. I do NOT go fast...and 750 rounds an hour is no problem (just fill the primer tubes and have your components at hand. That means I get to spend time shooting.

I now have a Hornady single stage for most my rifle reloading...but for handgun ammo....the 650 cranks them out!

Good luck!

Check out Brian Enos site to learn alot about Dillon presses.
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bob

Old 05-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #13

i started reloading to save money so i bought a Dillon 550. My first year of reloading i did not save a cent because i went from shooting a couple hundred round a year to shooting thousands of rounds a year. i started reloading 45 acp now i load for every thing i have 223 22-250 270 7mm mag 338 win mag 357mag 44 mag 45 acp. with my rifles i get nearly as good of loads with the powder measure as i do if i weigh each round. Dillon the is the way i go and if reloading not for you hang on to it for a few years and you can sell for what you paid for it.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
You'll hear mixed reviews on Lee equipment and while it is not the best out there, I would reccommend their 4 hole turret to get started.
I disagree... The Lee Classic Turret is the best out there. Just do a little research and read the reviews.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not a reloader but am somewhat interested. It would seem to me that learning how to load a single caliber would make sense rather than jumping in only to find you don't have the time or interest.

I saw a Lee Hand Press Kit for $39.99. Why not try something like this? No laughing out loud, honest answer needed.

It looks to be thumbs up for Dillion. What happened to Hornady?

Does anyone use pre-primed brass?

When you pick up brass off the floor at an indoor range have you ever been told that is not allowed?

How do most get their brass?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you use that lee hand press you will never want to load anything ever again.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you use that lee hand press you will never want to load anything ever again.
I was thinking about putting my wife to work.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp250 View Post
I was thinking about putting my wife to work.
i like the way you THINK

Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Thank you all very much for all the great responses! Very much appreciated and as always you all are on top of your game when it comes to fire arms knowledge! Me an my step father are thinking of going with the dillion 650, should be fun! I cant wait, so I can load during the week and shoot all weekend!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #20

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hate to say this, "DONOT buy a 650 - now". My first press was a Dillon 550. My son said this was the press to buy (Oh by the way he was only 19 years old and now its 26 years ago). We (my son and I) ran the press as a single Stage press (you can do that with a 550) for a while. Then we got good at it and used its full capabilities. For the next 20yrs we reloaded thousands of rounds, and enjoyed every round we reloaded. About 7 years ago, we got into full auto Mg's. The 550 was a great machine, but it couldn't keep up with our new found fun.

Four Years ago we bought a 650 - and Yes its super fast and now we can keep up with our needs for full auto reloads.

PS: My son still reloads his special round (ie: Subsonic 9mm & .45) on the old 550 press.

The point is that the 550 has its place and is really easy to use. The 650 is a real production machine, but a little harder to use and to change calibers.

Bottom line is that if your new and looking to reload, get a 550. I have had several friends that opt'd for a 650 and returned them or a 550.

Please note - If you order a new 650 and then want to trade it in for a 550, Dillon will probably let you do it.

Enjoy

Last edited by anm2_man; 06-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.