Picking a reloader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Picking a reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Picking a reloader

So I am wanting to start reloading ammo, and I was hoping you fine folks could point me in the right direction, as far as what brands of reloaders and models are best and easiest to use, and any other equipment I will need to get. I am mainly wanting to reload .45 acp, .40 s&w and 9mm. Thanks for any help.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You'll hear mixed reviews on Lee equipment and while it is not the best out there, I would reccommend their 4 hole turret to get started. It is an inexpensive way to get started and see if you like it. I've been using mine for 2 years with no issues.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd suggest a Dillon Square Deal--a little more to start with than a c-press, but it comes with ones set of dies and will last forever, plus you can't beat Dillon's customer service.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #4

Not sure where you want to start out and how much you want to spend, BUT the Dillon is hard to beat if your looking for a turret press. As stated above, customer service is top notch!

IF your thinking about a single stage press, then I would look at the RCBS. I been using one for around 20 years and I just cant wear the darn thing out.

Tom

Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #5

Far as I'm concerned, for a progressive press, Dillon is the only game in town, but you pay for it a little more up front.

RCBS and Redding for single stage are both hard to beat but the Redding is a little pricier.

Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would say start with a turret press. Everyone here knows I HATE Lee products. If you are not sure you want to keep reloading them get some lee stuff and try it out. Reloading stuff keeps its value rather well.

I prefer RCBS or Dillon. There are plenty to choose from.

Loading pistol ammo on a single stage is a PITMFA big time. Seeing as you want to load nothing but plinker pistol ammo a progressive is the way to do I would say get a 550b you can run it single stage till you get familiar with the steps of reloading pistol ammo. Then you can switch to doing it progressivley. The 550b is what I call semi=progressive as you have to rotate the shell plate and load the bullets and case. A full progressive like the dillon 650 all you do is load the bullets. even better is one that loads the bullets and cases as well then all you have to do is pull the handle and make ammo.

Let us know a budget and space requirements you have. Progressive presses have much larger footprint than a simple RCBS rockchucker single stage.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Read, read, read, then ask, ask, ask!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-101-great-starting-point-27166/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-reloading-look-here-15130/

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Thanks abunch for all the info! I think I am going to go dillion, I like the turret design. was looking at the 550 or 650, and am going to order some manuals, so i can educate myself, lol, space isint a probloem because we will be putting it in our garage on a work bench, i cant wait to get this started! I am very excited!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started out with Lee products (IMO a good press to start with) and they worked just fine until I starting reloading for the bench. I still use Lee dies, although, I now use a RCBS press.

Dillon 650 is top of the line and capable of reloading around 500 round per hour, although, it's going to cost at least $1000.00 to get started reloading one caliber, I sell Dillon products.

If your sure this is a hobby you want to pursue by all means invest in the Dillon, if not sure about reloading, start small and work your way into it.

Disclaimer: This is just one man's opinion and does not reflect the views of many on this forum.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #10

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Can't go wrong with the RCBS Master Reloading Kit for starters. I have a Redding press now and it's real good also, but a little more money.