People Taking Advantage of the Ammo Shortage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > People Taking Advantage of the Ammo Shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default People Taking Advantage of the Ammo Shortage

Hey y'all,

I'm new to FirearmsTalk but thought I'd pick your brains to see if an issue that I'm experiencing in AZ is happening in other places as well. By way of introduction: I'm a college senior and got into firearms and shooting about a year and a half ago. I have a couple of pistols but unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time to purchase an AR-15 back when they were in-stock and reasonably priced.

Ammo is practically non-existent where I live (which I'm sure is true all over the country). After shooting the breeze with a Walmart employee a little over a week ago, I got him to tell me that they receive their trucks around midnight, and if they get any ammo in it's usually gone within a matter of hours. Being somewhat of a night person, I've been calling this walmart (open 24 hours) around 12:30 -1:00a.m. but every time I get the same bad news.

After looking on websites like Armslist and others like it, it seems like the same guys (same usernames) are posting sales ads for ammo at ridiculously inflated prices. At first I thought that maybe these guys were just reposting, but after looking into their ads I noticed that they had boxes from different manufacturers with each new post (i.e. they were selling Winchester white box one day and Remington UMC the next) So I know that these guys are finding ammo somewhat consistently.

I saw a guy post on another forum that he went to a store (I think it was
Big 5), and an employee told him that he had been purchasing most of the ammo for himself when it came in so that he could resell it for double. Now I'm starting to wonder if this same crap is going on at stores around me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I apologize in advance for posting into the wrong category. This probably should have gone under "Ammunition & Reloading".

Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. Yes ammo is an issue right now. It is not necessarily hoarders. It is from the manufacturers and distributors on down and even the feds. Expect it to continue to be a problem.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Just exactly why do you think DHS needed all that ammo? It sure wasn't to shoot it. It was to dry up the civilian ammo supply. Other ABC goverment orgs are doing the same exact things they are buying mass quantities of ammo to dry up the supply then when the civilians have no ammo it will be an easier fight to take us down. This is why I reload and I have enough powder, primers, bullets, cases, and mags to last me a LONG dang time.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Yes, there are quite a few buying, jacking up the price and reselling it. At first, people were buying it like that. But as of the latest look I had at armslist, it simply isn't selling any longer for the absurd prices. People don't have the urge to buy it for those rates anymore. The .75-1.00 a round prices just aren't selling anymore. And no one is paying the .55-.70 for steel either. I just bought several hundred rounds from PSA for about .62 a round this week. That massive spike in ammo prices couldn't hold out forever. It's just like gas, when prices are up people drive less. When ammo goes stupid high, people don't go to the range.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

pnolans Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Just exactly why do you think DHS needed all that ammo? It sure wasn't to shoot it. It was to dry up the civilian ammo supply. Other ABC goverment orgs are doing the same exact things they are buying mass quantities of ammo to dry up the supply then when the civilians have no ammo it will be an easier fight to take us down. This is why I reload and I have enough powder, primers, bullets, cases, and mags to last me a LONG dang time.
Please- not the government buying all the ammo thing again

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Keep an eye on the online classifieds. I read earlier today a post on Backpage that a certain Walmart had plenty of ammo at 11:00 this morning. Posts like that might give you a timely heads-up.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I agree with the legendary General Patton:

I do it less... I just try to enjoy it more!

I also shoot my bow more. And I've gotten a couple of Muzzleloaders... so far, I'm not seeing the same shortages as in other types.

I have no shortage of lead balls. Hm... that sounded pretty weird. Primers, Pyrodex RS. I can still buy that stuff. It's kind of fun to walk by the long lines at Sportsman's WH and pick up some primers or balls.

And I stocked up... after last election... I learned. I just wish I had stocked up more.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #9

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans View Post
I agree with the legendary General Patton:

I do it less... I just try to enjoy it more!

I also shoot my bow more. And I've gotten a couple of Muzzleloaders... so far, I'm not seeing the same shortages as in other types.

I have no shortage of lead balls. Hm... that sounded pretty weird. Primers, Pyrodex RS. I can still buy that stuff. It's kind of fun to walk by the long lines at Sportsman's WH and pick up some primers or balls.

And I stocked up... after last election... I learned. I just wish I had stocked up more.
As long as you're refering to the real Patton i agree
I too started "HORDING" after last "time" & have sum BP on hand for fun 'n giggles

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5714 Times on 3230 Posts
Likes Given: 5145

I started hoarding after the 2008 election.

Winston Churchill