Over penetration? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Over penetration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8920 Times on 5336 Posts
Likes Given: 11925

Good point, Pfev1980. I will have a talk with my son and we'll develop some plan.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #12

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Acually, I think the jacketed hollow point was designed so it would not over-penetrate. The idea of bullet expansion is like the thrust reverse on a jet engine, made to expand and slow it down once it is inside the target. However, the full metal jacket bullet is meant to go all the way through the target with no expansion.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #13

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

I know you gotta play the cards you were dealt, some great advice here but the best HD weapon is a shotgun. They can be had for reasonable prices and over penetration won't be so much of an issue, depending on your choice of ammo. Bird shot, while not AS recommended as buckshot, isn't going through any walls and, if I were a BG that got a snoot full of birdshot I'd have to rethink my plan. The shotgun is a MUST have for all shooters, got my Mossberg 835 pump for $200 new, box of 100 Federal for $20. C'mon...ya know ya want one!!! I think it's fantastic you are doing some forward thinking, proactive over reactive every time!!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Well, for one thing I hope you are never in a position to have to use one. But if it ever came to that concentrate on center mass
and do your very best to uphold the greatest urgency in the universe ~ the law of self-preservation. For you are precious to everyone on this forum.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6
Acually, I think the jacketed hollow point was designed so it would not over-penetrate. The idea of bullet expansion is like the thrust reverse on a jet engine, made to expand and slow it down once it is inside the target. However, the full metal jacket bullet is meant to go all the way through the target with no expansion.
Even a hollow point will pass right through the bicep of a 180 pound average joe. There are just too many factors present on a bad day to declare a round "unpassable" based on the idea that it expands a lot.

You have to buy the least penetrating rounds with the stopping power you want, but be wary of your surroundings when you shoot. Hollow points are great for not going through the exterior walls of your house, but I wouldn't want my kid on the other side of a bad guy I was shooting at.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #16

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Yes, exactly that. My 22 year old son is currently living in my home. If he were to hear a rukus and come down the stairs, he would be exiting the stairwell that is right outside my bedroom door. So he would be directly behind any BG in my bedroom doorway. Granted, I have 3 dogs who would be barking all this while so maybe he would come down the stairs before the BG could even gain entry. I don't know. I just would feel so much better knowing this round would stay in any BG I might have to put it in.
Talk with him and put a plan together. I'm glad that you're thinking about all the different scenarios that could happen! Much better to find a solution now so in the event something does happen no friendlies will be harmed.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Situational awareness.... begin by taking a tour of your home...with your son... Identify the points of possible entry by an intruder. Relate those to where you and the firearm will be, (considering that if an intruder crashes in and you're watching TV, is the gun in the safe? ) Then locate the points in your home that will provide you with a shooting lane that will allow the least possibility of injuring a friendly, whether you have a pass-through shot, or a miss.

Some of my toys

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #18

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Winds

I applaud you forward thinking and personal growth in regard to shooting sports and SD. KUDDOS'S.
Regarding your choice of defensive caliber. It's an excellent choice and 1 I don't think could be improved upon in a handgun platform.
The best possible weapon to have in ANY close quarters fight IS THE SHOTGUN but your .357 will do and I find no fault in your choice of load.
Here is to hoping that non of us ever need it.

Tack

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #19

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have the same handgun. I have the GP 100 with a 6" barrel. I use the 158-grain HPs in my gun and I am not too concerned about over-penetration. There are too many variables involved to try to control all of them. In a self-defense situation the first and foremost objective is to stay alive and keep the ones you are protecting alive. As pointed out earlier it is wise to have a home defense plan in mind if you are concerned about having to deal with this situation.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 02-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Situational awareness.... begin by taking a tour of your home...with your son... Identify the points of possible entry by an intruder. Relate those to where you and the firearm will be, (considering that if an intruder crashes in and you're watching TV, is the gun in the safe? ) Then locate the points in your home that will provide you with a shooting lane that will allow the least possibility of injuring a friendly, whether you have a pass-through shot, or a miss.
This!

Situational awareness is critical. Do the plan with your son, where would he go and what would he do when X happens, the same for yourself. Keep in mind that the first thing to go to Hell in any given situation is your plan. Try to plan for that.

Shot center of mass, shoot twice and evaluate. Is there more than one BG?

There are countless possibilities.

A well designed home defense round can over-penetrate but if it does and it hits a loved one behind the Bad Guy it is not going to cause the same type of damage as it does to the guy it passed through. I know, small consolation, but that's one way of looking at it.

I prefer the Hornady Critical Defense for HD ammo.

Your GP100 can fire .38 Special. If you use that it would be less likely to over-penetrate, but then you run the risk of it not putting the BG down in the first place. Some people will load three .38s and then three .357 Mag. I don't think that's a good idea myself though. It adds one more thing that can go awry (is the cylinder properly indexed to have the three .38's fire first?) Best not to tempt things that way.

Best case scenario is you will never have to use your gun for this purpose.