Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Over penetration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6671 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

Default Over penetration?

As I was cleaning my guns today, I got to wondering what my self defense rounds would do should I ever have to use them. I have a GP100 and I keep 158 gr, jacketed hollow point, .357 magnum rounds in it. Would that go right through someone or would that enter a body and stay there?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be better to keep in my gun for home defense? I'm embarrassed to admit this but I just got comfortable enough to keep my guns loaded in my bedside safe. I was storing them unloaded. I am taking baby steps with this. I know it sounds stupid to you more experienced gun folk, but it wasn't more than 2.5 years ago I thought guns were 'bad'. I've come a long way and I'm still on my journey.

Please be patient with me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19568 Times on 11107 Posts
Likes Given: 49271

WOC, for the most part, a jhp will expand and not penetrate. probably depends on where the bullet enters. the 158gr jhp was for many years the standard that other calibers were judged against, and still are to some degree. the 357 magnum is a fine caliber and choice for SD and will do an excellent job as long as you do yours.

also, don't short change yourself. you know the difference between men and women who are new to something? most women are honest in their lack of knowledge about something and will ask the same questions as a man wants to, but is ashamed to, because he doesn't want to look like a rookie! some will even try to bluff and talk like they know more than they do. the only way to learn is to ask questions, even if sometimes they stupid. because, i bet there is someone else who would like to know the same answer.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 466 Times on 290 Posts

That will stop anybody that is going to try to mess with your sleep lol . But here is a website that mite help you

www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm
Guidance is provided regarding selection of the best ammunition for a handgun intended for self-defense

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I'm just worried about my choice of self defense round going clean through the BG and hitting something else. Like my fine solid plaster walls. No, seriously, like going through the BG and possibly hurting someone else behind him or actually having the bullet get out of the house.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #5

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

As long as you can put the round in the target I don't think there would be any severe over penetration. It might exit the target but it will be mangled and have lost a significant amount of energy. I don't see it passing through a body then a wall into an innocent by stander.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
As long as you can put the round in the target I don't think there would be any severe over penetration. It might exit the target but it will be mangled and have lost a significant amount of energy. I don't see it passing through a body then a wall into an innocent by stander.
How about passing through a body then into someone behind him. Let's leave out the 'passing through a wall' factor.

I can put the round in the target though I have never shot under extreme duress and adrenaline.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Well, I once shot a 357 hornady leverevolution round into my sock drawer cuz I was wondering this too. I know maybe kinda dumb but now I know. Anyhow... It made it through the front 1/2 inch of wood and then like a good 6 inches into a bunch of sox. The bullet was in 5 pieces just about all over that side of the drawer. I shot it from maybe a foot away.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

How about passing through a body then into someone behind him. Let's leave out the 'passing through a wall' factor.

I can put the round in the target though I have never shot under extreme duress and adrenaline.
That I can not answer.

Do you have other people in your house that you worry about hitting?

If so the best thing to do is have an emergency plan. And designate areas that they are supposed to go to in the event this situation happens. Then just make sure that if you must fire that you are not firing towards that area.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
That I can not answer.

Do you have other people in your house that you worry about hitting?

If so the best thing to do is have an emergency plan. And designate areas that they are supposed to go to in the event this situation happens. Then just make sure that if you must fire that you are not firing towards that area.
Yes, exactly that. My 22 year old son is currently living in my home. If he were to hear a rukus and come down the stairs, he would be exiting the stairwell that is right outside my bedroom door. So he would be directly behind any BG in my bedroom doorway. Granted, I have 3 dogs who would be barking all this while so maybe he would come down the stairs before the BG could even gain entry. I don't know. I just would feel so much better knowing this round would stay in any BG I might have to put it in.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Over penetration depends on a lot of things, most of which are almost impossible for you to control in a high stress situation. Did you hit the BG in a rib or through the liver, does he weigh 300 pounds or 135, is he fat or muscular, is he wearing a t-shirt or a jacket and sweater...etc. Additionally, it's not likely you are going to fire once and he's going to fall over dead. You'll probably fire a few times and God willing put most of your rounds center mass, but even at the range we alway end up with that one round that ends up low right or high left with a mind of its own. No matter what round you use, it's imperative to know what's behind your target and weigh that into your decision to fire. Assume you are going to miss at least one round or one might pass through.