Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Outside Target Practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Outside Target Practice

I have always gone to the range to shoot, so I've never purchased target ammunition. But I have a friend who lives out in the country, so I can shoot at his house now.

When ammunition is labeled as non-corrosive, does that mean it's safe to shoot outside? This is specifically what I'm looking at:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM5290-1.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut
I have always gone to the range to shoot, so I've never purchased target ammunition. But I have a friend who lives out in the country, so I can shoot at his house now.

When ammunition is labeled as non-corrosive, does that mean it's safe to shoot outside? This is specifically what I'm looking at:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM5290-1.html
It means the powder/primer isnt corrosive on your gun.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

You can shoot corrosive or non corrosive ammo outside. All ammo used to be corrosive hence why the importance of cleaning your firearm after each range visit was so important. Not so much so now due to more advanced technology and the development of newer powder but I still recommend it. You are good to go sir

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2600 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Smokeless powder is not corrosive. Most Eastern Bloc ammo is corrosive. US ammo pre-1950 was likely corrosive. It has nothing to do with where you can shoot it. It has everything to do with how you clean up afterwards.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball