Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Out of state Walmart would not sell to me (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/out-state-walmart-would-not-sell-me-89394/)

12fretter 04-23-2013 02:53 PM

Out of state Walmart would not sell to me

OK, before I go any further, it was in New York State. I was in Syracuse, my home town, for a wedding this past weekend, went it to a Walmart, they had 9mm ammo so I told him I would take 3 boxes. He asked if I had a permit, I said yes. He asked to see it, I showed it. He called his manager, and his manager told him he couldn't sell it to me because it was not a valid NY state permit.

That's total BS.

I went to another sporting goods store, and he told me he would be more than happy to sell me ammo. Of course, he didn't have any!

I hate Walmart. I hate New York State. This was the nail in the coffin of ever moving back to my hometown.

bigjim 04-23-2013 03:00 PM

Why do I get the feeling you are only giving us half the story??

Jim

12fretter 04-23-2013 03:03 PM

No idea, but that is exactly what happened.

Overkill0084 04-23-2013 03:17 PM

Problem number 1: You were in NY.
Problem number 2: you were in a Wal-Mart.
Wal-mart isn't really known for their high quality employees. They aren't going to research it for you, if they aren't sure, they ain't doing it. From their perspective, selling you ammo ain't worth legal troubles if they aren't sure.

c3shooter 04-23-2013 04:24 PM

Wallyworld and Dick's are known to make up their own rules. Under Federal law, you can buy a long gun from an FFL in any state. Dick's will only sell to a resident of that or an adjoining state.

britishbulldog 04-23-2013 04:52 PM

I'm a British citizen green card holder living in Oregon. I've bought many guns and types of ammunition from all sorts of places in the US with no problems, I even have an FFL 03 (C&R) license however dicks refused to sell me 2 boxes of 30-06 because I'm not a US citizen.

On checking out the register signing pad stated that I had to be a citizen or a green card holder which I am. They still refused me.

I agree, they totally make up their own rules

PC167 04-23-2013 05:25 PM

Yup, my wife ordered 1000rds of 7.6239 from sportsman guide for a good price, it took her a whole whopping minute and a half to do it. :O

:p

orangello 04-23-2013 08:28 PM

Well, at least you know now not to ever move back. They may have saved you some trouble; imagine if a NY LEO had caught you with that ammo hoard; heck, three boxes of 9mm and a Glock (anything not a revolver or 1911) would have probably been considered an "arsenal".

You might still be under a jail somewhere; you should send Wally's corporate a strongly worded thankyou email explaining how they saved you legal expense money. ;)

12fretter 04-23-2013 09:21 PM

Nobody ever said I had any weapons with me in New York State. And there is no law saying I can't buy ammo and transport it in my vehicle across state lines. I was in no danger of breaking any laws, even those barbaric ones in NY.

orangello 04-23-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12fretter (Post 1224560)
Nobody ever said I had any weapons with me in New York State. And there is no law saying I can't buy ammo and transport it in my vehicle across state lines. I was in no danger of breaking any laws, even those barbaric ones in NY.

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm green font in my post.