Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ordered a Redhawk, looking for ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm no bear expert but let's say an adult brown bear. I know it's all about shot placement but I'm just trying to get some idea on penetration of different bullet weights and how well they hold up until they're stopped.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1258 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 442

When you pick up the Redhawk examine the rear sight before you fill out the paperwork. My first one had to go back and was replaced as the rear sight was milled off center. It needed full left adjustment to get on target. Probably rare but check.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

2ndAmendmentFreedom Likes This 
Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #13

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #14

Yeah I'm aware of a few ways to prevent a violent encounter with a bear. But I'm using the bear example because it's a reference for measuring big bore revolvers effectiveness. I guess this boils down to weight vs velocity, sectional density etc. I already have an opinion on this but I'd like to hear what you guys think. Basically how do numbers translate into real life performance, everyone seems to swear by a different indicator (momentum, energy etc).

Btw thanks for the heads up I'll make sure i inspect the sights thoroughly.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #15

Liked 182 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 6

2ndamendment The best grizzly/brown bear load for the 44mag is a 12ga slug gun and bear spray and then enough skill as a woodsman to not get jumped by a chargeing 30 to 40mph 100lb + bear. Good that you live where the largest bear don't visit. Best heavy 44mag loads , Double tap 340gr and grizzly cartidge 300gr+ Hard cast .

Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #16

Liked 132 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Personally i have carried my 44 blackhawk 7" hunting in alaska and canada for more than 20 years now. I agree that a better choice for bear is a large caliber rifle (45-70). But the handgun is much more portable and more likly to be on my hip in an emergency.
I handload for mine 200 grain fp for deer. 300 grain hardball fp for large game/dangerous game. 240 grain elmer keith style bullets over h110 as my compromise load. All loads are accurate to better than 1" at 50 yards off sand bags. Be aware that they all have diffrent points of impact. You must adjust sights to the load you are going to use or learn to compensate.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #17

Thanks dwmiller, so you don't see any real advantage of going over 300gr?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #18

Not unless you are specically after bear or moose. The 240 pusked at 1450 has always done the trick for me.
I usually shoot a 200 grain at appx 1300 for a self defense load/light game load. Your wrist will thank you after 50 rounds of practice. Step the same load up to 1650 and its my choice for deer.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #19

The 200 at 1300 feels like a 44 special. Hits like a magnum. Try speer gold dots or xtp bullets for takedown. Leveroution bullets are also an interesting option in the magnum.

2ndAmendmentFreedom Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #20

Retieved rounds from deer show 1.5 to 2x expantion for the 200 grain and travel from left shoulder( breaking the bone) to right hip, also broken. Broadside shots pass clean through with a 3-4 inch exit wound that stays open. Never had a deer take more than a step or two after these hits. That said shot placement is still critical for anything less than the 50bmg...