optimal bullet weight - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > optimal bullet weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Is yours a Springfield Scout/Squad, full size or SOCOM?

I don't think it matters too much what you're shooting when shooting under 300 yards. At that range, it is more shooter than ammo. I'm wondering what to use out past the 300 yard mark, which is why I was asking about the heavier bullets. I'm sure that the M1As are good out to 800+ yards. I'd just like to be able to practice up and be able to make shots like that.
Mine is a full size, A 168 grain is as small as I would go personaly and will take you to six hundred yards easely no problem the 1 in 11 twist will handle 180 out to a 1000 yards with ease, when I said I would take it to 174 grain out past 400 yards that was just personal preferance your gun will handle 168 grain up to 180 as those are the recamended bullet weights for that rate of twist, mine prints 4-5 inches at 600 yards I am sure I could tighten that up with a 180 grain, if you were going to shoot 600-1000 I would defenatly use the 180 to keep a tight print but the 168 will make it there just the same with a little loss in accuracy, I have a friend that shoots with me alot with the same rifle as mine and he hand loads 190 grain for his 1 to 11 twist and I beleave they are leaving the barrel at around 2,640 and he shoots 800 yards with the same 4-5 inches I get at 600 yards, he is making me two boxes to play with this weekend I will let you know how that works for me, I thought that seemed a little heavy for a 1 to 11 but the targets don't lie and I watched him do it, I have not had my M1A very long or I could be more informative I do shoot a remington 300 ultramag longrange all the time thats my baby 1000 plus, And for that I use Sierra HPBT at 210 grain with a 1 in 10 twist with incredable accuracy you would just have to see to beleave, that being said that 190 grain for the 1 in 11 twist may be right on the money!!! To tell the truth the .308 kind of petters out at 800 yards to make 1000 yard shots with out doing alot of math you should ues a little more powerful round like the 30-06 or the 300 winmag but if you are talking 800 yards the .308 will do that just fine!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

The standard twist for a 308 is 1:12".

This really has little to do with weight but the length and ogive. It just so happens to be that the more a bullet weighs the longer it is. I would go with the Hornady 178gr A-max bullets. Or the Hornady 208gr A-max. Though the 208gr A-max might be a little to long for your twist.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The standard twist for a 308 is 1:12".

This really has little to do with weight but the length and ogive. It just so happens to be that the more a bullet weighs the longer it is. I would go with the Hornady 178gr A-max bullets. Or the Hornady 208gr A-max. Though the 208gr A-max might be a little to long for your twist.
Who's standard twist on what .308 chambered rifle?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #14

Default 190 grain at 800 yards with 1 to 11 twist

Well, the virdict is in, today I shot 20 rounds at 800 yards with my M1A First five shot group a little low and to the left with a eight inch group, it was very windy, and I needed to ajust for a hevyer bullet, (very windy) Farted around with my new 10/22 mag till things setteled down, 2 hours later everything is dead calm and looks like it is going to rain at any minute, fired second five shot group 4 7/8 group with one flyer, at this point I am very happy third 5 shot group 5 1/4 no flyers, still amazed, cannot hardly beleave it!!! did a little more tweaking to my scope, Cleaned bore and ready to shoot last five rounds, starting to rain now, I poped off last five rounds with a light breez and shot a 4 3/8 inch group with 3 rounds darn near touching, I stand corrected a 190 bullet seems to be the sweet spot for the 1 in 11 twist, I was grinning all the way home, I could not wait to tell my buddy how well his hand loads performed in my rifle, If you are interested in the load datta I can tell you that I was useing Federal Brass With CCI primers and a Sierra 190 grain HPBT MATCH KING, I will have to get back to you on the brand of powder and amount of load, But this seems to be the answer, I really did not think this rifle would produce accuracy like this, I am very impressed, I guess it still pays to shop around!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrem700 View Post
Well, the virdict is in, today I shot 20 rounds at 800 yards with my M1A First five shot group a little low and to the left with a eight inch group, it was very windy, and I needed to ajust for a hevyer bullet, (very windy) Farted around with my new 10/22 mag till things setteled down, 2 hours later everything is dead calm and looks like it is going to rain at any minute, fired second five shot group 4 7/8 group with one flyer, at this point I am very happy third 5 shot group 5 1/4 no flyers, still amazed, cannot hardly beleave it!!! did a little more tweaking to my scope, Cleaned bore and ready to shoot last five rounds, starting to rain now, I poped off last five rounds with a light breez and shot a 4 3/8 inch group with 3 rounds darn near touching, I stand corrected a 190 bullet seems to be the sweet spot for the 1 in 11 twist, I was grinning all the way home, I could not wait to tell my buddy how well his hand loads performed in my rifle, If you are interested in the load datta I can tell you that I was useing Federal Brass With CCI primers and a Sierra 190 grain HPBT MATCH KING, I will have to get back to you on the brand of powder and amount of load, But this seems to be the answer, I really did not think this rifle would produce accuracy like this, I am very impressed, I guess it still pays to shop around!!!
Sweet, that exactly the sort of info I'm looking for. Thanks Rick!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 AM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Who's standard twist on what .308 chambered rifle?
Every factory rifle I have ever looked up had a 1:12" tiwst.