Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > optimal bullet weight

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default optimal bullet weight

What would the optimal bullet weight be for a gas operated rifle with an 18 inch, 6 groove, 1:11 twist barrel chambered in .308 Win? Should I be running a heavier bullet with the higher twist rate?

__________________
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wolf Creek,MT
Posts: 209
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You will probably find that twist will prefer the 155 to 180 grain bullets, with a preference for 165 to 173 grain bullets. It could take years of experimenting to find the right combination.. That is if you are looking for perfection.

-Bidah

__________________

-Bidah

Bidah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sidney,Oh.
Posts: 460
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I would think that Bidah about hit it. You can go to Berger Bullets web page and see what of their bullets they recomand for an 11 twist barrel. I pretty sure it won`t be above 180`s.

__________________

Catfish
Ohio

Catfish is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wolf Creek,MT
Posts: 209
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I am not sure why you are looking at heavier bullets, but for .308, you can find that most of the good ones are 155 to 178 grains. I personally don't see the need for the 180's or heavier as they are more of a specialty bullet. If you want to shoot above 180's, you need a 1/10 twist or better.

So, what are you looking to do with it?

-Bidah

__________________

-Bidah

Bidah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I'm just wondering what bullet weight I should be using in my M1A. I found a good source for Winchester loaded NATO specd 147 gr. 7.62x51.

__________________
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wolf Creek,MT
Posts: 209
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Well for accuracy, those are not the best as they vary in weight and uniformity a bit. They are great for general shooting though, and I use a bunch of them. What I said before still stands, and that is certainly the case for M1A's.

-Bidah

__________________

-Bidah

Bidah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rickrem700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 225
Default M1A 1 in 11 twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
What would the optimal bullet weight be for a gas operated rifle with an 18 inch, 6 groove, 1:11 twist barrel chambered in .308 Win? Should I be running a heavier bullet with the higher twist rate?
I shoot Federal 168 grain hpbt out of mine, It was the first flavor I ever ran through the gun, and she print's 1/2 inch 3 shot groups all day long at 100 yards, So I stuck with that round, Mine is the same rate of twist as yours so you should be right in that ball park, If I were shooting past 400 yards I might step up to a 174 grain just to give it that little extra a$$ it needs to stay accurate, Don't quote me on this but the last time I checked out the bullet speed on this gun with this ammo, it was reading 2,685 feet per second about 10 inches from muzzle, Anywho this is what works for me and mine, Good luck.
__________________

If you run your just going to die tired!!!


Last edited by rickrem700; 10-25-2007 at 05:34 AM.
rickrem700 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrem700 View Post
I shoot Federal 168 grain hpbt out of mine, It was the first flavor I ever ran through the gun, and she print's 1/2 inch 3 shot groups all day long at 100 yards, So I stuck with that round, Mine is the same rate of twist as yours so you should be right in that ball park, If I were shooting past 400 yards I might step up to a 174 grain just to give it that little extra a$$ it needs to stay accurate, Don't quote me on this but the last time I checked out the bullet speed on this gun with this ammo, it was reading 2,685 feet per second about 10 inches from muzzle, Anywho this is what works for me and mine, Good luck.
Is yours a Springfield Scout/Squad, full size or SOCOM?

I don't think it matters too much what you're shooting when shooting under 300 yards. At that range, it is more shooter than ammo. I'm wondering what to use out past the 300 yard mark, which is why I was asking about the heavier bullets. I'm sure that the M1As are good out to 800+ yards. I'd just like to be able to practice up and be able to make shots like that.
__________________
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wolf Creek,MT
Posts: 209
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The 168's will shoot that far, but you would probably do better if you can find some 173 or 178 grain bullets. Hornady makes the A-Max at I believe 178, Nosler makes a BT at 175 or 180, and Sierra makes one at 180 I believe. For those long shots these weights would do better. Get one with the highest BC that you can that will work well in your rifle.

A number of years ago I got a bunch of 173gr FMJBT that was from military match ammo that was also used as a sniper round. I do not have many left, but they are very good bullets.

-Bidah

__________________

-Bidah

Bidah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
The 168's will shoot that far, but you would probably do better if you can find some 173 or 178 grain bullets. Hornady makes the A-Max at I believe 178, Nosler makes a BT at 175 or 180, and Sierra makes one at 180 I believe. For those long shots these weights would do better. Get one with the highest BC that you can that will work well in your rifle.

A number of years ago I got a bunch of 173gr FMJBT that was from military match ammo that was also used as a sniper round. I do not have many left, but they are very good bullets.

-Bidah
How will the ballistics be with the 180 gr. in a 1:11 barrel? Wouldn't the 180 gr. be better suited for a slower twist?
__________________
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
light weight scope bogey General Rifle Discussion 5 02-29-2008 02:04 PM
Light weight rifle bogey General Rifle Discussion 3 01-24-2008 08:22 PM
Added Weight explodingcannon AR-15 Discussion 6 12-29-2007 09:03 PM
Barrel Weight MrHorse Gunsmithing Forum 2 11-01-2007 05:07 PM